The Queen of Prengia | Teen Ink

The Queen of Prengia

By Lady_Lemon GOLD, Franklin, Wisconsin
Lady_Lemon GOLD, Franklin, Wisconsin

The once marvelous stone work was crumbling slightly behind her. Ash whirled around her old tan robes. This is what her home has come to; destruction and misery. Ever since the Lactin’s came from two kingdoms over, this is all there has been. This is all there ever will be, unless she followed the king’s demands.
With I sigh, she outlined the complex design of a glass dagger in her hand. She had not been strong enough to protect her kingdom from this threat before, but she could make amends. The Lactin King aloud her two alternatives to never-ceasing war. One: marry his eldest son, and join the two kingdoms. Or two: Die.
She had never met the prince, nor had she heard much about him, but she had promised her father when she was a young princess that she would only ever get married for love. Since both of her dear parents had been dead for three years now, and she would hate herself forever for going against something her late father said; there was only one option. Suicide. Perhaps she might join her beloved parents soon. One could only hope.
She had the tip of the blade dipping into her bosom, a large drip of blood forming and moving swiftly down her breast. As she was preparing to plunge the unforgiving glass into her chest, someone tapped her on the shoulder, and she instinctively turned around, completely astonished. She ordered her few remaining servants to not disturb her for at least half an hour. It had only been but five minutes since she had entered her balcony. ***go down for alternative ending***
A handsome, tall, dark-haired young man stood before her, looking very taken back. “Please don’t tell me that the very thought of marrying me has brought you to commit suicide. I didn’t realize the idea was the horrific.”
“You are Prince Demetri, I assume?” I ask, removing the dagger from the vicinity of my breasts when I realized it was drawing his eyes to wander in areas eyes should never go.
The Prince looked delighted that I knew who he was, “Why yes! And I assume you are Queen Korinthian?” He smiled, taking my hand and kissing it gently, “Its a pleasure to meet you before you departed this world.”
I was speechless. “Well.. I.. Um..”
“You know, it is not considered very lady like to say things such as ‘Um...’” He said, a coy smile playing on his lips. No. Do not think of his lips Kori! Those are thoughts for girls who shall live to see their weddings, and children. “Good thing I have never truly liked lady-like ladies.” Then he winked, he actually winked. What an odd prince. It suddenly occurred to me he was making an attempt to court me, when I saw the red rose in his hand. The thought made me blush.
“Ah, so it is possible to receive a reaction from the unreachable Queen of Prengnia! I have heard stories of you. You had four princes trying to get your attention at one time, but chose none of them! Even jesters have to practically scream in order for you to look their way!”
I blushed more at his comments and looked thoroughly bewildered, “That is certainly not true! I find jesters highly amusing, as do many in my court! The only reason I have not chosen a suitor, even though I am 19 years of age is because my father told me to marry only for love, and I have not found that love yet! Pardon me for being romantic!” I sputtered out, gaining momentum as I went on, “So do not enter my kingdom and start acting as if you know me all for you have heard some misinformed stories! In any case, it was only three princes, and each of them had ghastly personalities to match their terrible manners!”
He smiled, showing each one of his perfectly straight and white teeth, “And she speaks more than six consecutive words as well! Perhaps she even can out-wit me! We shall see, if she would please give me the knife she was about to kill herself with...” He let what he had just said stay in the air, and it took me a while to realize he wanted me to give him the dagger because he wanted me to live. He wanted to try to make this whole horrible situation work. I handed him the dagger.

*** Alternative Ending***
I turn around to see a servant standing there, wide-eyed. “Your Majesty!”
I averted my eyes, “Please go, Leslie. This is something I am afraid must be done.” The servant left, but not before I noticed her eyes reddening and tears spilling out. My people would miss me. But this is something I must do.
I whispered to myself, “Mama, Papa, I shall be with you soon.” Then I thrust the dagger into my chest, and watched the world fade away. I fell to the ground in a way I am sure would be described as most graceful. Many people wonder what it is like to die. When stabbing yourself in the chest, it goes something like this:
You can feel your heart piercing. The pain only last for a second before you are filled with an unexplainable sorrow.
Your vision goes blurry. Eyes filling with tears, its hard to distinguish shapes.
Colors fade slowly at first, but then more quickly. Soon all you can see is a blur of black white and monotonous gray.
The last real thought I had was hoping that the King would do as he promised, and give my people a chance at happiness.
Then it all just slips away. The pain, the tears. Everything. All that’s left is the unexplainable sorrow.

Only half of it is really romantic fiction, but I didn't really no what else to put it under. Alternative ending included.

TTTeeSS GOLD said...
TTTeeSS GOLD, La Porte, Colorado

There is no such thing as nothing, yet there is such thing as nothing, simply because there is nothing such as nothing.

I get the feeling!

Lady_Lemon GOLD, Franklin, Wisconsin
Yea I guess. My whole goal was to finally kill off one of my charracters, cause I can never force myself to do so, no matter how much it would add to the story, and even though that was the soul goal of this piece, I still had to make a happy alternative ending XD

TTTeeSS GOLD said...
TTTeeSS GOLD, La Porte, Colorado

Both ending are do-able, but I think I'd like the first one better because it could become a story.

Lady_Lemon GOLD, Franklin, Wisconsin
Thanks mi hermano! :D

Dark-Ninja said...
on Mar. 31 2012 at 11:15 am
loved it!!

Lady_Lemon GOLD, Franklin, Wisconsin
thanks! I love weird names!!! :D Which ending did u prefer?

TimmyTiger GOLD, Somewhere, Indiana

"It's time to nut up, or shut up." - Woodey Harrelson "Zombieland"

I loved it Lemon! I love the odd names and the story line. You should make this a book!