Misunderstood Rap Artist | Teen Ink

Misunderstood Rap Artist

By BlairBoyd BRONZE, Mandeville, Louisiana
BlairBoyd BRONZE, Mandeville, Louisiana

"Just let our spirits live on, through our lyrics that you hear in our songs, so we can sing for the moment."(Eminem) Rap artist, Eminem is informing listeners to sing for the moment regardless of what society thinks.  Today, parents and adults portray Eminem as inappropriate because of his crude and controversial lyrics. Unlike most adults, teenagers see beyond the crude language. We hear talent, and the true meaning behind the loud music.  He sings about the corrupt world in which people are constantly confronted with violent acts such as rape, assault, murder, school shootings and other violence's. Despite the constant complaints and hateful emotions from the public, he continues to make music. Although many of his songs are meaningful, Eminem expresses his passion, opinion, and rage through his lyrics in, "Sing for the Moment.”

Rap music’s influence on society is the main theme to “Sing for the Moment.”  Eminem is trying to tell the media and critics that his music isn’t for them, it’s for the kids.  He is singing to give teenagers a chance to escape from the depression and corruptive lives they live. “But all the kids be listenin’ to me religiously, so I’m signin’ cd’s while police fingerprint me.”  He explains the reason for singing and the constant battle between critics and parents.  Through his music, Eminem is also defining the long journey that got him where he is today.

?Born Marshall Bruce Mathers III, Eminem grew up in a Detroit trailer park. The selfish abandonment from his father follows Eminem throughout his everyday life. He explains his emotions through his lyrics , “What bothers him all comes out, when he talks about his dad walkin’ out cause he just hates him so bad that he blocks him out If he ever saw him again he’d probably knock him out.” Eminem and his mother were constantly moving in search of a better lifestyle. This made his childhood even more difficult. He changed schools two or three times each year, making it impossible to keep friends. After repeating the ninth grade three times, Eminem dropped out at age seventeen to pursue his dream. He uses his lyrics to speak up and inform other kids that their not alone. The song expresses his emotions through the lyrics, creating an incredibly passionate song.

?Along with his lyrics, the musical content in “Sing for the Moment” is incredibly brilliant.  Eminem uses the song “Dream On” by rock band Aerosmith along with his song, creating a moving combination of rap and rock. "Dream On" by Aerosmith and Eminem's lifestyle as well as his music, produce a symbolic connection. Aerosmith explains the theme of dreaming big and reaching for your goals, which is how Eminem achieved his dreams. His originality and different style, is another reason why his music is so popular among teens and young adults.

While listening to "Sing for the Moment" I imagine a young boy going through a rough time. Eminem depicts a difficult image for his listeners and fans. His song is telling a story to help teenagers that are going through rough times. He repeats this goal throughout the entire song. Eminem exemplifies this in his own words, "That's why we sing for these kids, who don't have anything. Except for a dream, and rap magazine." (Eminem. Sing for the Moment.) Once again Eminem is restating the reason for doing what he does.

In conclusion, Eminem's song "Sing for the Moment" is an opinionated, emotional, and passionate song. Unlike most rap artists, Eminem sings about the truth and meaningful problems in our world today. Although most parents and political figures see Eminem as corruptive to children, many teenagers disagree. His tone, melody, and rhythm allow kids to sing out because they are emotionally moved. While listening to his song they are given a chance to overcome anything with cheers, tears, and without fear because by tomorrow you don't know if you'll live or die so live for the moment. "C'mon, sing with me, sing, sing for the years, Sing it, sing for the laughter, sing for the tears, just for today, maybe tomorrow the good Lord will take you." (Eminem. Sing for the Moment.) I agree with Eminem because he believes that music and singing is living.