Brian Piccolo: A Hero | Teen Ink

Brian Piccolo: A Hero

By EmilyGrace BRONZE, That Town, South Dakota
EmilyGrace BRONZE, That Town, South Dakota

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot: Christian martyr in Ecuador

Brian Piccolo was one of the main characters in the story told by the movie Brian’s Song. He was a running back who was diagnosed with a cancer that would eventually kill him. His best friend and fellow running back, Gale Sayers, was with him when he passed. Brian Piccolo was a man of many characters. He was strong, courageous, and, even in times of peril and misery, he was humorous.

Brian was a very strong man, both physically and mentally. One of the most prominent signs of his mental strength that he showed was when he learned that he had cancer. He stayed strong all throughout his sickness, up until his death. He was also mentally strong when he kept his cool when he heard that the doctors had found more of the tumor inside of his body and they had to operate again. He was physically strong since he was a very good football player, and he trained hard. Brian Piccolo showed many signs of being strong and courageous as well, while he was sick.

It was clear that Brian was an extremely courageous man. When he was sick, he wasn’t able to play football but was still in a good mood and hopeful that he would heal. He was already planning his career for when he got out of the hospital, but he would not ever go back to football. He would also tell many jokes that some people wouldn’t ever say, but he was courageous enough to go right out and say them no matter what anyone would think. One thing that helped Brian stay strong and be courageous was his humor.

Brian had always been a man of humor and this was obvious to everyone. The first day that Gale Sayers came to the Chicago Bears, Brian had already played a trick on him! He had told him that the coach had a bad ear on one side and that Gale would always have to be on that side of him. He was always trying to make jokes, especially when no one else could think of something to say in the circumstances. He made jokes even when he was first realizing he was sick. One of the jokes that he told to Gale was when he went to the doctor to see what was wrong with him. When he got back he told Gale that he was pregnant! It was good that he kept his humor while he was sick, even when no one else could. His humor kept the people around him at peace during his sickness and hard times.

Brian was a hero to many people and should be looked up to today. I have learned that when you are going through hard times, things will be a lot easier if you keep a positive attitude through them. I also think that it is important for people to know that even your heroes are not invincible. Everyone is prone to sickness, even if they are multi-billionaires. We can all learn a lot from looking at the life of Brian Piccolo: a hero.