Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

Sentencing of Viktor Bout - I was there!

By LifeWriteThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time., Westfield, NJ

As a fourteen-year-old, I’ve come to learn that being tall (and carrying a notepad) has many advantages. Especially if you want information.
Manhattan is a vibrant, hopping place, but what goes on inside the hundreds of buildings that line its streets is a story all its own—and how my heart was pounding as I waited outside a courtroom in The Federal District Court of New York, surrounded by prestigious members of the press.
The sentencing of Viktor Bout, a notorious Russian arms dealer, was due to proceed in just a few minutes, and the courtroom on April 5 was close to packed. At the door, a woman and two U.S. Marshalls stood directing the keyed-up crowd, and asked that the first ten people present please enter. I am not a journalist (yet!), but I didn’t even question my possible rejection as I got in line—I’d been waiting there for an hour, so they better let me in!

Continue Reading »

Be the first to comment on this!

Close