Subscribe   Submit Work   Log In

The New Girl This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

By Annie K., Brooklyn, NY

“Don’t worry. Lots of kids have moved here and made new friends in the blink of an eye,” my new teacher tells me. “Oh, and don’t be concerned about your braces. Most everyone has them here.”

Great. Even my new teacher thinks I’m a nerd, and he hasn’t even known me for five minutes. If my teacher thinks that, I can’t imagine what the rest of the class is going to think.

I wonder what kind of speech he gave them about me, “The New Girl.” He probably made it sound like I’m some kind of freak with weird allergies whose dad just died and everyone should be nice to me.

I wish I was back with my friends at my other school, where everyone knew me and I was the one hearing the new-kid speeches.

Page 1 of 2

Share this article:

Share on Facebook   Share on Google+   Share on Twitter

Join the discussion

15 comment(s)
John007Niuvao
“The New Girl” the thing I like about your story is that you took what the other students would think about the new girl. You didn’t just focus on her, you expanded it.
Dec. 08, 2016 at 1:29 PM • Report
eitbse@ew
“The New Girl” the thing I like about your story is that captured what the other students would think about the new girl. You didn’t just focus on her, you expanded it.
Nov. 05, 2015 at 1:29 PM • Report
LittleRedDeliriousPrince
It was different, not necessarily in a good or bad way. The under-lying description of your anxiety and worries was interesting and not often seen, but the negativity is predominant and upsetting. If you start another new school, I'll tell you not to worry. I'm in my seventh school as a freshman.
Oct. 30, 2015 at 2:26 PM • Report
Cameron202
It was different.
Jan. 23, 2015 at 10:45 AM • Report
TrishHastings
It's not that bad, but the negativity kills me. Try writting something more positive. Even a second part to this article might be good...
Aug. 24, 2013 at 5:42 PM • Report
McDevitt
When i saw this story i see my brother in this child's shoes. I see him comeing back from school in tears because evrybody thought he talked funny or he looked stupid. I felt so sorry for him. Then i had a talk to him and hehad a new attitude about life. He said so what if you dont like me you dont have any impact on my life. This is what i see here in this story a chid who has braces and is afaid to show people the real person they are. So i say dont be afraid just be yourself.
Jun. 13, 2013 at 12:17 PM • Report
destiny18
I think just by reading this. never be negative. You might feel weird being in a new school, but that doesnt mean no one likes you, or thinks you are a freak. Try talking with people and introducing yourself to them. You can't always have someone come up to you, you make the first step in a new school.
Jun. 10, 2013 at 12:19 PM • Report
destiny18
I think just by reading this, never think negative.
Jun. 10, 2013 at 12:14 PM • Report
Pure_Serendipity
I don't like this. It's way too stereotypical. It honestly offends me. Many people reading this are those people who do have a dead dad, or have allergies, or are called the weird kid. You are saying that you don't want to be picked on when that is all you are doing in this peice of writing, you are picking on others. 
Apr. 13, 2013 at 6:28 PM • Report
write_to_express16
I completely agree with you, Infact I was offended while reading this. The one girl who came up to you and was friendly, you call weird. Would you rather everyone ignore you? But anyways, I completely agree that this piece is offensive in many ways. 
May. 16, 2013 at 3:59 PM • Report
Close