Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

The New Girl This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

By Annie K., Eau Claire, WI

“Don’t worry. Lots of kids have moved here and made new friends in the blink of an eye,” my new teacher tells me. “Oh, and don’t be concerned about your braces. Most everyone has them here.”

Great. Even my new teacher thinks I’m a nerd, and he hasn’t even known me for five minutes. If my teacher thinks that, I can’t imagine what the rest of the class is going to think.

I wonder what kind of speech he gave them about me, “The New Girl.” He probably made it sound like I’m some kind of freak with weird allergies whose dad just died and everyone should be nice to me.

I wish I was back with my friends at my other school, where everyone knew me and I was the one hearing the new-kid speeches.

Continue Reading »

Join the discussion

12 comment(s)
Cameron202
It was different.
Jan. 23, 2015 at 10:45 AM • Report
TrishHastings
It's not that bad, but the negativity kills me. Try writting something more positive. Even a second part to this article might be good...
Aug. 24, 2013 at 5:42 PM • Report
McDevitt
When i saw this story i see my brother in this child's shoes. I see him comeing back from school in tears because evrybody thought he talked funny or he looked stupid. I felt so sorry for him. Then i had a talk to him and hehad a new attitude about life. He said so what if you dont like me you dont have any impact on my life. This is what i see here in this story a chid who has braces and is afaid to show people the real person they are. So i say dont be afraid just be yourself.
Jun. 13, 2013 at 12:17 PM • Report
destiny18
I think just by reading this. never be negative. You might feel weird being in a new school, but that doesnt mean no one likes you, or thinks you are a freak. Try talking with people and introducing yourself to them. You can't always have someone come up to you, you make the first step in a new school.
Jun. 10, 2013 at 12:19 PM • Report
destiny18
I think just by reading this, never think negative.
Jun. 10, 2013 at 12:14 PM • Report
Pure_Serendipity
I don't like this. It's way too stereotypical. It honestly offends me. Many people reading this are those people who do have a dead dad, or have allergies, or are called the weird kid. You are saying that you don't want to be picked on when that is all you are doing in this peice of writing, you are picking on others. 
Apr. 13, 2013 at 6:28 PM • Report
write_to_express16
I completely agree with you, Infact I was offended while reading this. The one girl who came up to you and was friendly, you call weird. Would you rather everyone ignore you? But anyways, I completely agree that this piece is offensive in many ways. 
May. 16, 2013 at 3:59 PM • Report
delilah_manhatten
I don't think this article is stereotypical. I think it shows how terrible seterotypes are and how we should'nt follow them. By calling  Alicia whose trying to be friendly, "the weird girl", the main charater, looks like a jerk, not Alicia, therefore the sterotype in this piece insults the main charater. Also, sterotypes are abundant in high school, and through their sterotype the writer expresses real life. Remember this is a personal narritive form only the main charaters ponit of veiw and that's not necessarily what the writer agrees with.
Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:13 PM • Report
DifferentTeen
I don't know, I didn't find it all that striking.. I reread it to make sure I wasn't missing anything but I still wasn't amazed. I feel like it was just a little too stereotypical for my personal liking. I did like the part where you said the teacher made her sound like some kind of freak, which has weird allergies, whose dad just died so everyone should be nice to her. That was a unique sentence; I smiled when I read it. But most of the other lines, I just felt like I'd read them before. And then, the ending was kind of abrupt. The new girl judged the other girl so quickly I thought she being a bit rude and that she wouldn't like her, she even called her a dork. But then she said the school might not be so bad after all. I don't know, it just was a bit odd to me. Again, I feel like there was great potential, you seem like an all-in-all talented writer, maybe just hone in on your ability to drive a point home? Then again I could just be completely wrong in my understanding of the story. Please don’t take my criticism personally, it is meant solely as that, (positive) criticism.
Feb. 25, 2013 at 7:42 PM • Report
HeartBreaker2010
There should have been more to the story. It got intresting but then you stopped.
Feb. 08, 2013 at 2:16 PM • Report
Close