Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

This I Promise This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Kaily M., chapel Hill, NC By AnonymousThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time., Chapel Hill, NC

There are currently 11 poorly drawn butterflies on my arm. Each one has its own story. They stand for love, life, friends, family, enemies, everything. The butterflies are there to remind me I'm loved. In the past, I used to have a hard time remembering that.

I used to cut myself. Usually my right arm, sometimes my thigh. I still have the scars as a daily reminder. The last time I truly cut I can't remember. I probably do, actually. My mind is just blocking out the things I don't want to be reminded of. Now I'm just reminded of butterflies. I don't cut myself anymore.

I remember one girl accusing me of cutting to be popular. Another kid asked me if I could carve his name, like I was just a performer. The freak show who was there to entertain him.

Continue Reading »

Join the discussion

1 comment(s)
Alexandra R.
Wow. There is a refreshing easiness to your writing style. I have never personally experienced this but I know people who have and this gives me a new appreciation for them and the things they have had to go through. I like how you don't condemn those who choose to release frustration and sadness in this way. I am actually writing a narrative in one of my classes where one of the characters goes through this and I really love the way you Handel it in a happier way.
Apr. 06, 2014 at 3:30 PM • Report
Close