Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

Please Pass the Red Meat This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

By Fizzle, Austin, TX

Quinoa. It's a type of grain, full of carbohydrates and protein that really packs a lot of energy. It also tastes like mush. Unfortunately for me, it is another of my mom's latest food phases. It's the newest “flavor of the month,” which (it seems) she selects at random from various online sources, or perhaps from her mother's own dated cookbooks and recipes. Her reasons for procuring a new exotic taste seemingly every weekend are as varied as the foods themselves. However, it's easy to track my mother's eccentric food phases back to a specific source: soy milk.

It didn't just start with soy milk, though the switch to the dairy alternative played a significant role in my mother's evolution from the everyday, “normal” types of food. But the milk was accompanied by a greater change in my mother's life: the switch from her favored athletic activity – jogging – to yoga.

Continue Reading »

Join the discussion

2 comment(s)
This is really good! You are a great writer and I can really see into your story as if I am sitting in the room watching it all play out
Jul. 21, 2014 at 9:40 PM • Report
Nicely crafted. I'm drawn right into your world.
Mar. 11, 2013 at 8:12 PM • Report