Rugby’s Lesson | Teen Ink

Rugby’s Lesson

By chelseajade SILVER, Indianapolis, Indiana
chelseajade SILVER, Indianapolis, Indiana

Prove you exist
Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.-G. K. Chesterton
why cant i be a fairy tale princess and have a fairy godmother to make my wishes come true, just like Cinderella. - me

Rugby’s Lesson
In January 2010, on the morning broadcast at school, an announcement was made about a club sport rugby team in Lawrence. I had been looking for something extracurricular to do, especially a sport. I had not played soccer in several years. Although, I did play on a women’s softball team in the spring, I wanted to get back into sports. I had heard of rugby, but did not know much about the sport and had never seen it played.
My perception of female rugby players was way off. I had a very stereotypical view that all female rugby players were masculine and same-sex orientated. However, I decided to keep an open mind and go to the call out meeting. I was excited about trying the sport after the meeting and thought I would go to a couple of practices to check it out.
The first practice I attended was easy, but I wasn’t sure if I wanted to go back. Something-maybe curiosity or a maturing moment- made me go back. After one particular practice, in February, in knee deep snow, I realized that rugby is a tough sport and something I really enjoyed.
The club team was comprised of players from three local high schools, Lawrence North, Lawrence Central, and Warren Central, on the east and northeast side of Indianapolis. Only three girls on the team attended Warren Central. We were in different grades, so I did not know any of them from Warren, nor did I know anyone else on the team. I did find out that these girls were neither masculine nor same sex orientated. These were girls, were feminine off the field, but tough and aggressive on it. I also found out that you didn’t need to be fit or in shape to play, because there is a position for everyone to play.
I learned several life lessons playing rugby last season. I learned not to judge people without getting to know them. I learned that I can do anything, that I am determined to accomplish, whatever I put my mind to do. I found this out after one of our games. A woman from a rugby team, north of Indianapolis asked me to play for them. Her team was a semi-pro team.
This was my first season ever playing rugby. Even though I declined, it became a realization to me that I am determined to make this my sport. I was also asked by two college scouts to play for them after graduation. Even after I got hurt, I knew that I wanted to play in college.
Boy, my judgment of female Rugby players was so off. However, because of my judgment, which was so bad, that something great came from it.
I have a lot of past achievements. One that I’m really proud of is my Venturing Bronze Award. The Bronze Award was something I got through the Boy Scout/ Venturing Crew of which I am a member. I had to perform and present my work to the crew. This took me a few months to get it done. Another was the silver medal I got for a solo performance in orchestra. I played “Ode to Joy,” and I was so scared. I get very nervous playing in front of people as a soloist, but I have played at a church twice during services for Scout Sunday.
My goals for this year are very high. I want to have a “B+” or “A” grade point average. Being my last year for high school, I want to graduation. I want to pass all my classes. Also, I hope I get into college. I am not 100 percent sure where I want to go to college yet. I hope my grades will let me attend the college of my choice. I am determined to “go above and beyond the call of duty” to make a better future for myself.
For this class I hope to get an “A”. Reading comprehension is a very a difficult thing for me. I enjoy reading, but it takes me longer to comprehend what I have read because I have to re-read several times. I try my best and have received high grades in English classes; the little voice of doubt inside me tends to make it more difficult. However, if I work hard, the doubt goes away, and I’ll reach my goal. To reach this goal, I’m going to have to ask for help when I need it. Asking for help is one thing I don’t want to do, because it makes me feel like a loser. But it’s ok to ask for help when I need it. Next, I’ll need to study more. I don’t study the best for tests and it shows in my grade. Lastly, I will need to do my reading for homework at home, rather than waiting until first period the next day to read. This means I will need to stay off the computer and not put off my home work until late.
In the future I want to go to college. At college, I want to major in biology with a minor in psychology. With that degree, I want to work for the FBI, or CIA, or as a CSI. If I work for the FBI, I want to be a profiler. A profiler is a person who comes up with basic idea of who did the crime. If I work for the CIA, I want to be a spy that works overseas in English speaking countries. If I work as a CSI, I want to specialize in ballistics, DNA analysis, and working in the field. These jobs pay great money, with the money I want to buy a ranch in Texas. The ranch will be big so my mom and dad can live with me, but in their own end of the house.
Over all, I look out on how my life has change. I have learned some much about myself by trying a sport, I knew nothing about. Going out on limb to try something new, and doing great at it, gave me a new positive way to look out myself. That is how my goals came to be harder to reach. My goals are more complex than my freshmen year goals.