Textbooks vs. iPads | Teen Ink

Textbooks vs. iPads

We live in such a technologically advanced world. IPads could solve some of the problems now facing America and her students: heavy backpacks, outdated textbooks, becoming energy (d)efficient, the economy, and, yes, boring classes. No, they would not completely solve all of these issues. But they could certainly make an impact.

In 2001, 7000 kids went to the ER because of heavy backpacks. A backpack should not weigh more than one-tenth of your body weight, but many students are supporting up to 25 percent. That’s 25 pounds for a 100 pound person instead of 10. IPads weight 1.5 pounds.

Outdated textbooks are also an issue for students today. They could prevent students from learning the proper facts. IPads obviously have the internet already on them, and the internet is being updated every day, vs. having to be reprinted.

Also, the world is facing an energy crisis. Fossil fuels are diminishing fast, and will be gone before we know it. Here’s a problem for you: is the energy production greater to make five textbooks for each student or one iPad for each student?

In addition, the average American is well aware of the economic state of our country. Trillions and trillions of dollars in debt? Even though the iPad isn’t proven to reduce the actual debt, they can help the economy in other ways. Starting from scratch, the cost of iPads is about 50% less than the cost of textbooks. Textbooks also usually have to be bought every summer, while the average iPad stays current for about four years.

Additionally, there’s no other way to say it: iPads are fun! There’s nothing like the feeling of having the world at your fingertips. Schools could and probably would prevent students from logging on to Facebook in the middle of class, other games and inappropriate websites, or the app store, for example. They already do for our computers. But there is just something magical about holding something so technologically advanced.

In conclusion, it is obvious that iPads are the more sensible option over textbooks for many reasons. They are lighter, which can help kids have better posture without the heavy books in a backpack. They would always be updated because they are connected to the internet, instead of reprinting whole books. IPads use less energy and boost the economy because they only need to be made once. Schools could block out distracting websites and disable the app store to ensure maximum attention. It is clear that iPads are the better choice than textbooks. Thank you.

This is actually a debate I had to do for History class :)