It's My Life! | Teen Ink

It's My Life!

By wheeeeeeeel BRONZE, Dayton, Ohio
wheeeeeeeel BRONZE, Dayton, Ohio

Recently, I was lucky enough to travel to the country of Trinidad, a small island off the coast of Venezuela. While there I lived in the small community of Princess town, which had a population of no more than a few thousand. I traveled down with a local group to help build a new church as well as run an afternoon daycare. While there I was completely submerged in their culture. I was constantly surrounded by their culture from eating their local food to living their much more simplistic and friendly lifestyle. While there I made bonds with my group members that went with me as well as a lot of the people that were living there. These bonds will stay strong and last a very long time. Not only was my experience amazing while I was there but I have taken so much back from it.

The main thing that I have taken back from this trip was their lifestyle. I did not meet a single person that was not friendly and laid back. Everyone showed so much love to us, even though we were complete strangers. They all had strong bonds with each other especially with their family. Even though these people had very little, they offered what they had to us just to make us as comfortable as possible. I now challenge myself to incorporate these qualities into my own life. I strive to not worry about the little things and just look at the big picture. I actively work to strengthen my relationships with my parents and always make time for family. I continue to work on not relying on material things, as well as share what I have.

This is an essay for a college applicaton.

on Jun. 7 2012 at 11:03 am
iholland95 BRONZE, Blue Bell, Pennsylvania

"Take things one step at a time."

"Don't be a hater. Support the fine arts!"

"Let's make the most of tonight like we're gonna die young"

This is a great start. If I were you, I'd make it a little bit longer. Like 2 more good solid paragraphs. Other than that, it's fabulous