Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

My Schizophrenic Sister This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

By Anonymous, MA

My 13-year-old sister has schizophrenia. This is uncommon for someone so young. Usually the diagnosis is made when the person reaches adulthood, but my sister has always been one to get a jump-start on things. Although I am the older sister, she is often the one to take the first step, try something new, and risk it all. She learned to ride a bike when she was four, while I was too afraid to try until I was eight.

Our family has had to jump over our share of hurdles. My sister and I, as well as our younger brother, are adopted. We share the same mother, who was also diagnosed with schizophrenia (in addition to other mental illnesses), but we have different fathers. I have always considered my adoptive family to be my real family.

Our adoptive mother is no spring chicken and also has multiple sclerosis, which has made it extremely difficult for her to raise kids, never mind one who has a mental illness.

Continue Reading »

Join the discussion

5 comment(s)
You're so lucky with your sucsess. You're a great writer and I like looking at your things. I've been trying to get out there since I was eight. If you look at my story "Dreamland" I have been trying to get it out for a very, very, very long time. So I look up to you, because of your sucess. Keep writing<3 ~TimexxFlies
Oct. 03, 2013 at 12:22 PM • Report
you're amazing. That's really all there is to say...
Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:51 PM • Report
I may or may not have schizophrenia (along with other mental disorders), it is yet to be determined. I constantly get voices in my head etc. I've also been diagnosed with 'very severe depression' and have been struggling with my fair share of self-harm, eating disorders and suicidal tendencies. I have found one of the worst things to be pity. Pity is horrible. One of my friends recently found out about some of the issues I'm facing and she is now treating me so differently than before. I know she is only trying to help me, but I only want her to be a friend and we can go on like we were before, but though I've talked to her about this, she doesn't seem to understand. So be there for someone if you know they need it, but don't push it. It's hard beyond what you can imagine and sometimes simply talking to people (about anything, not necessarily their mental illness etc) can be so hard. Just whatever you do, don't ignore that there is a problem, and if they want to talk about it, by all means listen, but don't overreact to things and just be a friend.
Oct. 31, 2012 at 11:13 PM • Report
That was beautiful. Thanks for sharing! I feel the same way. People need to get over each other's flaws. We are all the same:)
Apr. 03, 2013 at 2:07 AM • Report
agreed! i wish you an your sister well. hopeful, one day, people will finally understand mental illness and treat the people have it not like "weirdos" or "psychos" but like reall are, normally people that happen to have a disease.
Oct. 11, 2012 at 6:01 PM • Report