Under Pressure | Teen Ink

Under Pressure MAG

Have you ever felt like you couldn’t handle the pressure anymore? I felt that way a year ago. My life seemed out of control. I was always in a rush, always late, always taking on too many projects and trying to handle too many demands. But I never accepted it. I always attributed my frequent stress to the millions of things I had going on, or my nervous energy. But after a while it started to affect me both physically and emotionally.

It was finals week, and as usual I was stressed. I couldn’t calm down; my mind was full of worries. I was trying to concentrate, but my brain wasn’t obeying me anymore. My thoughts were all confused. I had problems sleeping and was tired all the time. I still didn’t realize this was really important but my body did. I began to lose weight rapidly. When I started to have terrible headaches and digestive problems, my mom grabbed me and, without letting me say a word, took me to the hospital.

I had been afraid of hospitals ever since I was young, probably because as a brain surgeon, my dad spent all of his time there. I hated the smell of the corridors; they smelled like sickness mixed with strong medicine and detergent.

We sat down to wait. When my name was finally called, a pain in my chest was killing me. The nurse took me to the neurology corridor and I was finally in the examination room on a bed.

First my heart rate was checked. The doctor didn’t seem happy with what he found. His serious face made me even more anxious. He explained that my heartbeat was irregular and was the cause of the pain in my chest. I was feeling as if the room lacked enough oxygen. I was breathing with difficulty, so they brought an oxygen mask.

After a while, a cardiologist arrived. The doctors were suspicious of me having coronary heart disease. After some tests, he told me I was most likely having episodic acute stress. I didn’t even know what that meant. He explained that it was my body’s reaction to my exhausting work schedule, perfectionism, and mainly because of the stress I had created. He added that I was pushing my body too hard, and it had lost its ability to cope. Stress had become a threat to both my physical and emotional well-being.

The doctor gave me some medicine and put me on a recovery program. I was supposed to avoid stress and give myself time to relax. Now, I don’t panic anymore during a presentation, while writing an essay, or studying for midterms, because I know I can stand it. Life is tough, and stress is just something we make up to make our lives tougher.

Consulting-Detective GOLD, Andover, Massachusetts

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progresses can be judged by the way its animals are treated." ~Gandhi

That sounds exactly like me! Let alone trying to get into an extremely prestigious school, playing a ton of sports, and just generally trying not to freak out! I have those fears too! AAH!!!

wanda whaley said...
on Mar. 15 2011 at 10:01 am
wanda whaley, Littlerockar, Other
that totally like me

TheDuck GOLD said...
on Jan. 30 2011 at 11:21 am
TheDuck GOLD, Braselton, Georgia

“Raids, bullets, crime... no problem. A missing duster? Crisis."-The Last Sacrifice
"If we stand for nothing, we'll fall for anything." -All Time Low

I completely agree!  Sometimes I feel like I am just going to explode.  It's like I'm a life size version of Janga and if one little bar is pulled wrong, I come tumbling down.  I would like to thank you for bringing this up!

mikey1808 said...
on Jan. 15 2011 at 9:52 am
V True....... i agree wid dis article!! hve faith in u!! :D

slr511 BRONZE said...
slr511 BRONZE, Plaquemine, LA, Louisiana
I completely agree with this under pressure discussion. I am a person who is always under pressure. Most of my pressure comes from school. I'm always busy with homework. I either have to do projects on top of projects. Sometimes I have homework on top of homework, but other times I have both.

Carmella_Hastings GOLD, Atlanta, Georgia

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." -Walt Emerson

don't worry Duygu. I feel that way a lot but i promise that behind every mushroom cloud is a silver lining. All you have to is endure the cloud and you'll get to the silver. There's a quote that goes with this I can't remember who said it:

"Don't worry about it, cause things will get better. It may be stormy now but it can't rain forever."

on Aug. 9 2010 at 5:41 am
christmasdayfreak BRONZE, Mooresville, North Carolina

"the greatest thing youll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return"

well when i capatilazied the word us i meant to put infeses on the word 'us' as in our generation/teenagers around the world i did not mean US as in the country of the united states...srry for any inconvience...

J. Rae said...
Haha, wow. Can you clear this up for us christmasdayfreak ?

omgshoes said...
She means us, not US. :-) 

-alice- PLATINUM, Colorado Springs, Colorado

I care very little if I am judged by you or any other human court; indeed I do not even judge myself. My conscience is clear, but that does not make me innocent. It is the Lord who judges me. -1 Corinthians 4:3-4

I love this, especially since I know exactly what you're talking about.  I play a highly competitive sport, I'm in honors classes, and there's so much drama at my school that one could drown in it.  I also have an extreme fear of the dark, drowning, and being kidnapped, so that adds to it, too.  Well written, though.

SarClark BRONZE, NC, Connecticut
Gotta go like now, but she means aka us, like us, like plural you

AnneOnnimous BRONZE, Peterborough Ontario, Other

"Saying 'I notice you're a nerd' is like saying, 'Hey, I notice that you'd rather be intelligent than be stupid, that you'd rather be thoughtful than be vapid, that you believe that there are things that matter more than the arrest record of Lindsay Lohan. Why is that?' In fact, it seems to me that most contemporary insults are pretty lame. Even 'lame' is kind of lame. Saying 'You're lame' is like saying 'You walk with a limp.' Yeah, whatever, so does 50 Cent, and he's done all right for himself."
— John Green

aka US? seriously? we Canadians can get just as stressed out as americans, you know (although our life styles are generally a little less stressful)

on Dec. 8 2009 at 10:13 am

totaly awesome and completely true to todays generation aka US!

mz.gemini92 BRONZE, Tomball, Texas

keep the one yew luv most 1st

I LUV THIS and i knoe wat ur talking about