Cinderella in the 70's | Teen Ink

Cinderella in the 70's

By readerwriter13 GOLD, Metamora, Michigan
readerwriter13 GOLD, Metamora, Michigan

Life is to short to even care at all
Life is about those now or never moments

A long time ago, Cindy Rella was walking to her job at the record store when she saw the most handsome man she had ever seen: Tony Manero. He had striking three piece white suit on, piercing blue eyes and… a girl on each arm. Cindy could feel her self-staring at him as she walked by The Ball, the local skating rink and his usual hang out. She had the biggest crush on him but… he was totally off limits. So she pulled down the sleeves on her sweater, smoothed her curly brown hair, kept walking.

As she walked into the record store the scent of the vinyl records hit her as usual. The place was a dump though it was only built in 1972. I’m never going to get use to this, Cindy thought to herself. After a few hour of being totally bored behind the counter a familiar white suite walked through the door and to the counter.
“Hey babe, you got any Bee Gees?” Tony said leaning his elbow casually on the counter.
Cindy nodded and very quietly said, “Yes.”
“Are you gonna show me where it is or do I gotta wonder around here like a lost puppy?”
Cindy’s stomach was tickling with butterflies as she moved around the counter and past Tony and to the Bee Gees section. “It’s…. Their right… uh… here,” Cindy struggled around her words.
“You guys have the new release?” He asked moving to her right and standing very close.
“No we just sold the last one a few hours ago.” She said.
“Bummer,” He replied with a sad tone and started moving towards the door.
“Wait!” She nearly yelled. “I’ll go check the back!”
He smiled sweetly. “Thanks babe,” he said and winked at her.
Cindy turned around quickly and slammed into the swinging door. There were only a few boxes here and there but, hopefully, the Bee Gees were in there somewhere. She rummaged through the first box quickly, and, thank God, found the record. She tucked it under her arm and walked back out the door. He was leaning on the counter again and when he saw her he stood up straight and smiled at her.
“Got it,” Cindy tried to say calmly holding out the record to him.
“Thanks babe,” He said taking the record and examining it carefully. “How much do I owe you?”
“Its $7.99,” Cindy said
He handed her the money and said, “Catch ya’ on the flip side.” Then he walked away with his new purchase.
As he walked out a strange looking girl brushed by him, checked him out, and continued to walk to the front desk. She stopped at the counter and chomped loudly on her gum. The girl didn’t talk for a second like she was expecting Cindy to start the conversation.
Finally she said, “The Ball is having a big shindig tonight. Mind if I put out some flyers?”
“Guess not.”
The girl slammed down a stack of bright colored papers and walked away. Cindy looked at one of the papers and made up her mind to go. It was a chance to get out and away from her crazy step sisters. She folded the paper up and stuck it in her back pocket. Her boss was supposed to be coming in soon to give her pay check which should be enough for what she had in mind.
At the end of her shift her boss clanked though the door handed her, her check and told her that he’d take over.
Cindy quickly ran over to Kresgees and picked up a lime green tube top and super short bright orange shorts. She paid for them and went to the hair salon next door.
As she sat down at salon chair she told the stylist, “Give me the Farah Faucet look.” And so she did.
Cindy raced home a quick forty-five minutes later and changed her clothes. She pulled on her long knee socks and tube top; she fought to get the right fit with her shorts. She topped off the look with an insane amount of makeup. Cindy took one last look in the mirror and made sure her step-dad, Tony, wasn’t home; he would never let her out looking like that. The Dawns, her step sisters, would have a fit too. They were spoiled brats not use to having to work for their stuff because mostly her step-dad let them get away with anything.. But they got worse after Cindy’s mother had left for the Peace Corps. She sighed forgetting all of them and walked out the door, roller skate bag in hand.
As she walked up to The Ball she saw the line was out the door; the bouncer was being really tough tonight. Somehow Cindy had gotten pushed to the front of the line and was immediately let in.
The music throbbed in the air and bodies were pressed close together. What have I got myself into? Cindy thought panicky. But when she started getting a few smiles from the cuter guys there she started relaxing. Then she tensed up when she saw her step sisters. They glared at her and moved toward her like tigers stalking prey.
“What are you doing here?” Dawn #1 sneered.
“They let anyone in these days,” Dawn #2 said with a roll of her eyes.
“I was just about to say the same thing about you guys,” Cindy snapped back.
They were taken aback, surprised that Cindy had actually stood up for herself. But they recovered quickly.
“Well you look like crap,” Dawn #1 smiled at her sister. “Let us help you.” The grabbed Cindy by the wrists and dragged her to a darker corner. “You hair is falling apart.” Yank. “Your shirt is too small.” Rip. “Your shorts are ugly.” Tear. “Your makeup is smeared.” Wipe. Cindy ran to the bathroom in tears. She looked in the mirror: they had destroyed her. She could hear them cackling outside the bathroom, obviously hearing her tears. Cindy lunged into a stall and sat on the disgusting toilet and cried harder. Suddenly there was a pair of stilettos standing outside the door.
“Baby, why you cryin in there?” A sweet but demanding voice asked.
Not caring any more Cindy opened the door armed with a snippy remark when she saw who was standing there: Donna Summers.
“Girl, I asked you a question.”
“Look at me! My step sisters tore me up!” Cindy cried.
“Oh honey it ain’t that bad. Here close your eyes.” Donna put her hands on Cindy’s shoulders as Cindy closed her eyes. Cindy felt something weird happening around her and felt like she was growing three inches taller. When Cindy opened her eyes she was wearing a bright blue romper and spotless white skates, her hair was all done up in its original due but much better. Her makeup was fixed and flawless. She looked… Stunning.
When she turned around to thank Donna all she said was, “Remember, when the last dance plays your time is up.” And she disappeared just like that.
Cindy took a deep breath and skated out of the bathroom. The song Its Raining Men was blaring on the speakers. It was ironic because as soon as she stepped out of the threshold the guys were all over her. But she was only interested in one. And she spotted his white outfit through the dense crowd and her stomach flipped. “Excuse me,” Cindy seemed to be chanted as she pushed her way through the throngs of people.
When she got to him she said, “Hi Tony.” By the time she go to him the song Hot stuff playing and the sitting area had cleared out a little bit.
The girls sitting on either side of him looked up meanly. Tony looked up in awe but played it cool. “Do I know you, babe?”
He didn’t remember her! She barely recognized herself! In fact, he didn’t even know her name. This could be her chance!
“I’m Cindy.”
“Cindy,” He repeated. “Skate with me.” As so they did. They danced together the whole night until the deep voice came over the speakers.
“Alright we’re gonna slow it down. Grab your special someone and get your rear out on the floor.” The Last Dance, which was ironically, by her ‘godmother,’ Donna Summers, played sweetly.
Before Cindy could say anything Tony grabbed her hand and moved closer to her. Lap after lap they grew closer together. But when it ended she started to feel weird and when she looked down her romper was fading to bright orange.
“Oh no…” She breathed. She let go of his hand and whipped around to the sitting area, ripped her skates off, stuffed them in her bag and took off towards the door. As she pushed on the door her skate bag caught the wall and a skate slipped out with a thud. She heard Tony yell for her but she felt her hair falling down and she couldn’t risk him seeing her like this.
Cindy disappeared into the night falling apart as she ran.

A few days later she was back in the record store when Tony walked in. Cindy’s stomach lurched and she hoped he didn’t recognize her. Or maybe he hoped he did. She didn’t know.
Tony walked up to the counter and placed a pure white skate on it and asked, “This might be a weird question, but do you know who’s this is?” She stared at the skate. “I mean I met this amazing girl and she took off without so much as a good bye. I need to find her.”
With a sudden burst of courage mixed with stupidity she said, “That one is mine. I have the other one in the back if you need proof.”
He looked dumbfounded and told her to get it, which she did. And, of course, they were a match. There was no doubt about it. Cindy’s heart soared as he looked up into her eyes. Then he shot her down like a duck hunter when he said, “So it is you….” He sounded sad.
“What’s wrong with that?” She asked with a tone.
“I just… Thought it’d be someone different.”
“What is that supposed to mean?” She slammed her hand down on the counter and she saw fear flash in his eyes.
“The girl I met that night looked different than what you do. I just didn’t expect…. This.”
Cindy’s face turned bright red. “Go away Tony. Your being totally bouge. And it’s funny that I ever liked you. Get out.”
Tony scowled at her. “Fine,” he snapped as he grabbed the skate.
“Leave. My. Skate.” She hissed through her teeth.
The record door slammed closed and for once- she was happy to see him leave.

If you can find all the allusions in this I give you major kudos.