The Absolutely True Diary of a Part- Time Indian by Ehasanuzzaman Satu | Teen Ink

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part- Time Indian by Ehasanuzzaman Satu

By SaTwo SILVER, Cambridge, Massachusetts
SaTwo SILVER, Cambridge, Massachusetts

“I was born with water on the brain.” “…but weirdo me, I was born with to much grease inside my skull, and it got all thick and muddy and disgusting, and it only mucked up the works. My thinking breathing and living engine slowed down and flooded.” This book will influence you to be a flourished person. Sherman Alexie puts this book at such an angle of perspective it will change your mind of giving up, he tells us about how Arnold Spirit struggles throughout his youth life to find hope with what he calls “water in the brain”. “Excellent in every way, poignant and really funny . . . .” says the bestselling author Neil Gaiman. This author just had to take all my love for books.

Arnold Spirit tries to tell how hard it was to struggle to find hope since he was living at a rezervation and he was Indian and he was very poor, “My parents came from poor people who came from poor people who came from poor people,”. Also, the way the narrator put the message across the book is with his narrative voice. Some techniques Sherman Alexie used, was how he mad Arnold serious, but also made him have humor in his voice to keep the reader engaged in reading the book. When Arnold cracks open his geometry textbook, he finds his mother’s name written on the flyleaf. “My school and my tribe are so poor and sad that we have to study from the same dang books our parents studied from,” Arnold says. “That is absolutely the saddest thing in the world.” That is where exactly where Sherman Alexie uses his technique of to completely different things to connect to keep the reader engaged. Another technique I found very useful for the narrator that he used, was that how he used the point of view through Arnold’s eyes, and how he struggled so much.

When Arnold switches schools, 22 miles to a nearby school named Rearden, which is a gleaming school filled with white kids. He’s the only Indian, if u don’t count in the school mascot. And now since Arnold had found where he could find hope he now has to achieve his dream of getting hope, although early on when he first transferred to Rearden he had struggled to fit in, he was beaten up most of the time, until he started trying to fit in with the rest of the crowd. And he never gave up (message). Until he proved to his bullies he wasn’t the guy to mess with. Arnold’s toughness soon earns him their respect, though, as well as a spot on the varsity basketball team.
In conclusion, the Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian is a great read for a teenager. This book is too great for nobody to read it; it suits everybody, serious and comical people. The book ends with one of those that leave you thinking and wondering “what if?”. Sherman Alexie has explored the struggle to survive between the aggravating life of the Indian and white worlds.

This Review Is excellent, it shall be posted in the Magazines!