Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

The Bystander and The Fire This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

Jordan L., Ellicott City, MD By Writer_JordanThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time., Ellicott City, MD

I don’t know what’s worse—to be the bystander or the fire. To be the bystander is to follow the flames wherever they go, uncaring when they spread over their next victims and demolish them completely. To be the bystander is to add wood to the fire, ignoring the attempts to extinguish it from friends of the victims. There are some who will never know about the fire, however. They will see a force that gives life and happiness, not one that takes. They will see the orange, but not the smoldering coals in the heart of the flames. They will not see the bully.

It’s not as if the victims are alone. Often times they stand in groups with several friends, talking and muttering about their own ordeals. They laugh and play, throwing a single ball of playdough from the plastic, yellow bin in celebration of the conclusion of finals.

Continue Reading »

Be the first to comment on this!

Close