Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

The Weight of Unspoken Words This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

By LaraMei, Commack, NY

I spent every day of the week after my father’s death in his closet. I would press the white cotton of his shirts against my face and inhale the smell of his fading cologne. I wanted to hold onto him with everything I had. I didn’t know how to let go, how to say goodbye.

He hadn’t finished teaching me how to drive. He never taught me how to parallel park, to merge on a highway, or make a k turn. “Next week,” he had promised because the sun was setting and he didn’t want me driving in the dark. I should have argued. I should have forced him to stay a little longer.

The day it happened, he had a banana nut muffin for breakfast and coffee. He sat at his computer while he ate, and I watched him from behind the counter. He was always working—six days each week, except holidays.

Continue Reading »

Join the discussion

3 comment(s)
uhmjanis
This literally made me cry... So much emotion and truth is conveyed in this piece. All of your work is so great!
Jun. 12, 2013 at 12:09 AM • Report
Interminable_Dreamer
This brought me to tears. My dad committed suicide and it was a reminder of what I went through. You are amazing and I can't thank you enough for sharing this!
Apr. 03, 2013 at 6:31 PM • Report
Dreamer_
That was so moving, it gave me goosebumps. Great work!
Apr. 03, 2013 at 3:14 PM • Report
Close