Dear Truth | Teen Ink

Dear Truth

By liveincolor GOLD, Gainesville, Florida
liveincolor GOLD, Gainesville, Florida

You need to be the change you wish to see in the world. ~Ghandi

Dear Truth,
Forgive me; I’ve traded you for happiness.
I traded you for those translucent sap green wings that took me higher than the depths of sky, and sapphire waves of desire numbed all strands of common sense.
I traded you for laughter that trickled down my vocal chords, and flipped my stomach inside out until spun, and then the butterfly cocoons burst into technicolor, lifting my heart into the clouds, and thundered music in my eardrums.
I traded you for singing seashells that murmured pearly nothings and my eyelashes followed gravity, while sunshine breezes traced the silhouette of my body onto the sandy shadows of freedom.
I traded you for kisses, like warm, velvet dewdrops on petals and the crisp, salty air on the gulf shore where seagulls cry teardrops of echoes and sea foam resembles cream cheese icing on strawberry cupcakes.
Please, please forgive me! I was drained of you the moment I first melted into that shade of summer hazel and his fingertips brushed mine.
I wish to find you soon, the search party of fairy dust has been sent out last Thursday night, as glances of perfection, like magnets, chose to gravitate in your direction.
I’ll trade for you again someday.
As soon as I find something special enough, I promise. Perhaps Awareness, as I’ll need that gone as soon as he decides to leave.

Sincerely,
Me.