The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls | Teen Ink

The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls

By AaronSan BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
AaronSan BRONZE, Reno, Nevada

To this day, many people struggle with poverty. A lot of people do not appreciate the things that they own. The memoir that Jeannette Walls wrote makes you think about how lucky you are just to have a safe home and some food to eat. The memoir that she wrote is her life story about how she grew up in poverty, usually sleeping in the family car or a destroyed home. Jeannette Walls is one of four kids and she has both a mother and father.
This memoir shows you a corrupt family with two helpless parents, the mom who is very lazy and just worries about painting instead of worrying about what her kids are going to eat. The father is a drunk who spent all of his time drinking and smoking. He couldn’t even keep a job for that long either. Also the family never had a stable home they kept moving around, and when they did stay somewhere for a few years which was a town called Welch in West Virginia the house they lived in that was very run down.
Jeannette is a very strong individual who makes a great role model. She shows if you want it bad enough you can get it by working hard. She saved money up to go to New York but the money got stolen by her father. She did not give up she just saved up some more money and finally she got to New York. She shows us readers true power which is the power to make a choice. She could have given up when her money got stolen but she didn’t.
Even though I have nothing in common with the author I feel that I take things in my life for granted. I feel like I appreciate all the blessings that I have in my life, and a few luxuries such as electricity and food to eat. I am also appreciative of the stable home environment that I live in unlike the Walls family that kept moving around all the time. It is amazing how the Walls kids put up with each other and how they ended up pretty successful.
This book contains a lot of elements like, comedy, drama and some adventure. This book shows you an independent person who made it and started a better life and went to college even though her family was poor. The book was very interesting and exciting and it made me feel very blessed. I recommend this book to people who want to read about a strong person who decided to tell us her amazing journey through life. After reading this book I was sad but I was happy by what the book taught me about life. I am very happy for what I have and what I may own in the future.

Mercedes.BeNDZ BRONZE, Reno, Nevada

"If you're a monster, don't act human." - unknown

I'm glad you're feel so apreashative of what you have after reading this. Books that touch us are the best

MorganT97 BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
This makes me feel lucky to have loving parents. I really liked your review, I'm gonna have to read this book sometime!

Master327 BRONZE, Reno, Nevada

A friend is one who knows you and loves you just the same.
-Elbert Hubbard

Interesting descriptions about the book!

WontonSoup BRONZE, Reno, Nevada

"The best things are always free"

Nice review, Aaron! Way to go!