Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

Being Different

By arichman40, Basalt, CO

To me, the disabled being bullied is real. I believe all people should be treated equally because we are special in our own ways. For example, one of my Special Olympic friends was teased a while ago because she has Down Syndrome. She may not be able to hold a conversation, but she is affectionate and cares about everyone. She always has a hello for everyone and a hug. A friend of mine who doesn't know very much about Down Syndrome made fun of her because he didn't bother to get to know her and called her names like the "It". It broke my heart to hear him say those harsh words when he was judging her because she looks different and acts different. She is my friend and when I heard those harsh comments, I wanted to tell him to stop, but at the time, I couldn't because I was afraid he would judge me too.

Continue Reading »

Join the discussion

8 comment(s)
This is brillant.
Apr. 18, 2013 at 5:57 PM • Report
Thank you! It is something I truly believe in because I have many friends who have disabilities
Apr. 18, 2013 at 9:38 PM • Report
Did you ever try to get this posted in a newspaper? I don't know much about your newpapers, but I have read a really interesting book called Your Name in Print which is all about teens getting published. It's more writing toward teens who want to be a journalist. It's a really interesting book, and I've read it several dozen times in the past three years.
Apr. 19, 2013 at 9:09 AM • Report
i haven't tried to that. I used it for a radio class I was in last year, however. I'm actually going to be working for my valley's newspaper this summer, and I can most certainly try to get it published. Thanks for the idea! :)
Apr. 20, 2013 at 3:51 PM • Report
Sure. What's a radio class?
Apr. 20, 2013 at 6:42 PM • Report
It was an after school class that I got credit for. I learned how to interview people, speak publicly and I was able to do my own music show once a week. It was really fun! :)
Apr. 21, 2013 at 1:05 PM • Report
That sounds really cool.
Apr. 21, 2013 at 7:32 PM • Report
It really was!
Apr. 23, 2013 at 1:14 PM • Report