Being Different | Teen Ink

Being Different

By arichman40 PLATINUM, Basalt, Colorado
arichman40 PLATINUM, Basalt, Colorado

"Never judge a book by its cover"

To me, the disabled being bullied is real. I believe all people should be treated equally because we are special in our own ways. For example, one of my Special Olympic friends was teased a while ago because she has Down Syndrome. She may not be able to hold a conversation, but she is affectionate and cares about everyone. She always has a hello for everyone and a hug. A friend of mine who doesn't know very much about Down Syndrome made fun of her because he didn't bother to get to know her and called her names like the "It". It broke my heart to hear him say those harsh words when he was judging her because she looks different and acts different. She is my friend and when I heard those harsh comments, I wanted to tell him to stop, but at the time, I couldn't because I was afraid he would judge me too. But she is a very sweet girl and a very good friend of mine.

My friends in my life all have different disabilities of different types. One of my friends who has ADHD may seem different when you meet him, but once you get to know him, he's a tall, fun loving guy who can start talking about one thing and bounce to another in a matter of minutes. His interests may be different, like he plays war themed video games like Golden Eye 007 and rages up in anger when he isn't slaughtering other players. He also may reference inappropriate jokes, but to me, he's a special person. We should all be loved for our quirks, not pinned against because who we are is insulting to someone else. Embrace who you are. There will always be someone who will love you for you. Take the time to get to know someone who is different.

I was surprised when I met my friend who has ADHD. I almost ran away because his actions were too strong. But he has turned out to be a great guy. I gave him a chance and thats what everyone else should do too. They will surprise you.

I wrote this for my radio broadcasting class, and from having a disability and seeing others that struggle with being bullied for being different breaks my heart. I hope from this piece, people will think twice about judging who have a disability. You don't know what they have been through unless you get to know them. I hope someday the harsh and cruelty to others with disabilities will stop.

arichman40 PLATINUM, Basalt, Colorado

"Never judge a book by its cover"

It really was!

Wings10FeetTall GOLD, Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

May your words be sharp.
- Christopher Paolini

Nobody's going to wait for you, so do it now.
-Ingrid Michaelson

Broken hearts heal, but never the same.
- Jessica Romo

Idiots rely on luck.
-Sherlock Holmes

That sounds really cool.

arichman40 PLATINUM, Basalt, Colorado

"Never judge a book by its cover"

It was an after school class that I got credit for. I learned how to interview people, speak publicly and I was able to do my own music show once a week. It was really fun! :)

May your words be sharp.
- Christopher Paolini

-Ingrid Michaelson

Broken hearts heal, but never the same.
- Jessica Romo

Idiots rely on luck.
-Sherlock Holmes

Sure. What's a radio class?

arichman40 PLATINUM, Basalt, Colorado

"Never judge a book by its cover"

i haven't tried to that. I used it for a radio class I was in last year, however. I'm actually going to be working for my valley's newspaper this summer, and I can most certainly try to get it published. Thanks for the idea! :)

on Apr. 19 2013 at 9:09 am

May your words be sharp.
- Christopher Paolini

-Ingrid Michaelson

Broken hearts heal, but never the same.
- Jessica Romo

Idiots rely on luck.
-Sherlock Holmes

Did you ever try to get this posted in a newspaper? I don't know much about your newpapers, but I have read a really interesting book called Your Name in Print which is all about teens getting published. It's more writing toward teens who want to be a journalist. It's a really interesting book, and I've read it several dozen times in the past three years.

arichman40 PLATINUM, Basalt, Colorado

"Never judge a book by its cover"

Thank you! It is something I truly believe in because I have many friends who have disabilities

May your words be sharp.
- Christopher Paolini

-Ingrid Michaelson

Broken hearts heal, but never the same.
- Jessica Romo

Idiots rely on luck.
-Sherlock Holmes

This is brillant.