Fearby Jason Hulme, Scituate, MAOn a warm October night last year, my friends and I were carrying bundles of wood down to Humarock Beach for a bonfire, while my brother Josh stayed behind empty-handed because of his hard breathing. The night before, he had slept in our basement, which had mold in the air, and he had an allergic reaction to it. Because there was a light breeze off the ocean as we started the bonfire, we needed a little help from lighter fluid. My brothers' cheeks expanded as far as they could on every exhale. You could hear the wheeze from his lungs. Josh's face started to turn red and he went up to the house and lay down on the porch.We were still on the beach when a big storm came. It started to rain hard and we were very cold. We ran back to the house and went inside to dry off. Josh was staying dry under the roof on the porch, but his breathing had become worse because of the cold.
Share this article: