The BFG by Roald Dahl | Teen Ink

The BFG by Roald Dahl

By WinkieM SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
WinkieM SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

Beware of the witching hour – when all is silent and dark but the milky-white light of the moon – for you never know when a little secret will unveil itself from the dark. And if read, Roald Dahl’s The BFG will certainly snatch you out of your trance. The novel circles around Sophie, who is taken from her orphanage by a large creature: the BFG (short for “Big Friendly Giant”). When she learns of the 9 other man-eating giants in Giant Country and the ghastly feast they have every night, she decides to stop these brutes once and for all.

Thirty years after its first publication, the plot isn’t the only thing that delights readers, but the characters themselves are what bring the story to life. Sophie, the protagonist, is polite and well-mannered – in fact, she even curtsied at a compliment directed towards her. The BFG is a sweet and benevolent vegetarian. His accent is amusing to read, though he calls his botched up speech pattern “the most terrible wigglish.” Contrary to the BFG, the 9 other giants, who each have disturbing names to describe their nature, are carnivorous beasts who find any excuse to bully the BFG.

The style this novel is written in is one that Roald Dahl has clearly mastered. Any kid can easily comprehend the context of the book. Simultaneously, the descriptions are sprinkled with enough details to create a beautiful image in mind: when I first read the book, I felt my throat craving for some “frobscottle,” a deliciously described beverage that bubbles with vanilla, cream, and a pinch of raspberries.

Valuable lessons are scattered throughout the book. Everyone, no matter the size or age, has the potential of being a hero. Sophie is well aware that she would be devoured in no time if seen by the “Fleshlumpeater” or the “Bonecruncher.” Despite that fact, she still chooses to put her life behind the value of others. Also, the BFG is thrown around like a useless candy wrapper because of how runty and weak he seems compared to the others. That, however, does not hinder him from doing what he thinks is right.

The BFG has earned a number of awards, and for good reason, too. In 1982 it had the honor of getting a Children’s Book Groups award and won an International Board on Books for Young People prize. The novel was featured in the 1997 edition of the Best Books of the Past 20 Years guide. In addition it has also been transformed into an animated film and even a theater production.

Roald Dahl constructed yet another brilliant book to his collection of masterpieces. The language is precise, the illustrations (by Quentin Blake) are picture perfect, and the book itself is downright flawless. The BFG will leave you pondering just what goes on when you’re in deep and seemingly undisturbed slumber.

WinkieM SILVER said...
on Oct. 25 2012 at 2:55 pm
WinkieM SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
Hm, sounds legit. :D 

CaitlinB GOLD said...
on Oct. 23 2012 at 5:34 pm
CaitlinB GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
Something with the song Fe-Fi-Fo-Fum.  I'm not sure.  Something like that?

WinkieM SILVER said...
on Oct. 22 2012 at 8:02 pm
WinkieM SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
Whooooo? :P

WinkieM SILVER said...
on Oct. 22 2012 at 7:59 pm
WinkieM SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
Whooooo? :P

CaitlinB GOLD said...
on Oct. 22 2012 at 7:56 pm
CaitlinB GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
Well, stranger.  I happen to know a friend of yours.

WinkieM SILVER said...
on Oct. 21 2012 at 12:03 pm
WinkieM SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
Why thank you, person I totally don't know. :D

CaitlinB GOLD said...
on Oct. 21 2012 at 7:54 am
CaitlinB GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
I wonder what school you go to.  The writing classes must be reallly good. :)

WinkieM SILVER said...
on Oct. 18 2012 at 7:47 pm
WinkieM SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
THANKS. xD 

on Oct. 18 2012 at 7:41 pm
thefionna13 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

Hi c: I'm just some girl in some place. I love writing, and reading, and my friends.

ohemgee. that was like so good gurl. so good.