Forrest Gump | Teen Ink

Forrest Gump

By sey_mour_sey_less GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
sey_mour_sey_less GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

We all need to fly away from our issues, the ones that we are forced to face daily. Spread our wings and soar to other lands in hope of starting over. But, wherever you go, you will always end up at home. The film, “Forrest Gump,” demonstrates this in a series of heart melting events that will bring you to tears even by thinking about it.

The movie instigates with Forrest Gump seated on a bench, waiting for a bus. He seems like a normal person, going about his business, right? Wrong, he is telling his life story to strangers. Each listener expresses a different attitude towards Gump’s story, from unemotional to incredulity.

Gump describes his first ride on a school bus and meeting Jenny, the girl he falls in love with. The two instantly bond and become inseparable until college, which is when they begin to drift apart. Gump becomes a soldier in Vietnam, starts a shrimp business, plays ping-pong nationally, and gets awarded by different presidents multiple times. While Gump climbs the success ladder, Jenny experiences her own transition. From a nude country singer, to hippie, drug addict, and finally develops into a single mother. As if destined, Jenny and Forrest meet in different locations throughout the movie, although they each have separate paths.

Forrest Gump is played by a well-known actor, Tom Hanks. He played this role so well, that you could believe that a man by the name of Forrest Gump exists. He conveys so much emotion and passion that the viewer cries and stresses, feeling whatever Gump is feeling. Perhaps that is why this movie has won the Oscar, Saturn Award, American Comedy Award, The BAFTA Film Award, and so many more. The special effects are jaw-dropping! Gump appears talking to Kennedy, Reagan, Johnson, Nixon, and even John Lennon. The cinema was filmed to perfection, setting the camera at a certain angle to the sun and spending hours at the studio.

The movie has strong symbolism such as, “life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you will get.” “Forrest Gump” proved that no matter how “stupid” you are, you can achieve greatness. You may be emotionless while watching a movie, but “Forrest Gump” will leave you running for your box of Kleenex. Just don’t be surprised when you begin questioning your future.