Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

Capital Punishment Is Dead Wrong This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

By Olivia H., Oneida, WI

Murder is wrong. Since childhood we have been taught this indisputable truth. Ask yourself, then, what is capital punishment? In its simplest form, capital punishment is defined as one person taking the life of another. Coincidentally, that is the definition of murder. There are 36 states with the death penalty, and they must change. These states need to abolish it on the grounds that it carries a dangerous risk of punishing the innocent, is unethical and barbaric, and is an ineffective deterrent of crime versus the alternative of life in prison without parole.

Capital punishment is the most ­irreparable crime governments perpetrate without consequence, and it must be abolished. “We’re only ­human, we all make mistakes,” is a commonly used phrase, but it is tried and true.

Continue Reading »

Join the discussion

23 comment(s)
LittleRedDeliriousPrince
I agree with everything you said. In fact I was thinking about this last night, what with the man responsible for the Boston Marathon incident being given the death sentence and all.
Apr. 17, 2015 at 1:04 PM • Report
Amai-kun
I absolutely agree. Your opinion is stated in a thoughtful and eloquent way, and you've done a good job editing your piece as well.
Mar. 31, 2015 at 8:24 PM • Report
bandgeek23
I agree with you a hundred percent. No one deserves to be executed for what they have done. Murder is the same thing as capital punishment. You're killing a person that killed another, just because it comes from the state doesn't mean it's right to execute a person.
Feb. 23, 2015 at 9:42 AM • Report
Doctorbug
Very well put.
Jan. 31, 2015 at 10:02 AM • Report
kflynn119
I totally agree with you. People go and kill others and then they get killed, not right. They should stay in jail and have to feel bad for the rest of their life for what they did. Its less painful for them to just get killed.
Jan. 31, 2014 at 2:30 PM • Report
RutvikS.
I don't think they should let the murders get away easily and they should pay the pricein jail, but the death penality is a great choice.
Jan. 31, 2014 at 2:27 PM • Report
Aarif
Precisily!
Jan. 31, 2014 at 2:35 PM • Report
Alex M.
I agree with you because they should also learn their lesson and stay in jail. They are pretty much just getting of easy with death.
Jan. 31, 2014 at 2:21 PM • Report
TheSihlouettedMan
So, what you're saying is... despite the murderers, terrorists, and psychopaths out there, (of whom have mentalities that cannot and will not change) that because we are killing a life (to save others I might add), that this is a nasty thing to do. I've got news for you, please wake up. I'd feel a bit more comfortable if evil wasn't walking my streets. Also, innocence hardly ever gets up there, and even if that is the case, that's prosecution error, not the penalty. And last, you tried backing your argument with an Illinois-based organization, which, I'm sorry to say, is a state in shambles right now, and has the highest crime rate, and has proven to be corrupt in many cases. What does this group say that is so credible? Your argument shows little validity, and really, I can't see the reason put into it.
Jun. 12, 2013 at 9:33 AM • Report
Lilsexii
Some people need to be sentence to death. Some crimes are just un-humaily. People are just sick and twisted. People need to learn life and how to be a human being. Death is what put these uncontrolable animals to rest. On the other hand people keep saying, "what if the wasn't guilty"??. Nine to one they was.
Mar. 20, 2013 at 3:20 PM • Report
Close