Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

Capital Punishment Is Dead Wrong This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

By Olivia H., Oneida, WI

Murder is wrong. Since childhood we have been taught this indisputable truth. Ask yourself, then, what is capital punishment? In its simplest form, capital punishment is defined as one person taking the life of another. Coincidentally, that is the definition of murder. There are 36 states with the death penalty, and they must change. These states need to abolish it on the grounds that it carries a dangerous risk of punishing the innocent, is unethical and barbaric, and is an ineffective deterrent of crime versus the alternative of life in prison without parole.

Capital punishment is the most ­irreparable crime governments perpetrate without consequence, and it must be abolished. “We’re only ­human, we all make mistakes,” is a commonly used phrase, but it is tried and true.

Continue Reading »

Join the discussion

26 comment(s)
RightWingExtremist
Murderers are the most vile people on the planet, and as "BjornNorth" said somewhere down in these comments, murder is an unjustified killing. Executions are not unjustified killings because the person being executed is not innocent, therefore not murder. I believe executing the people who earned the death penalty is for the good because these people are the worst among and they shouldn't be tolerated to live among us, not even among the prison population. Murderers have taken the most fundamental right from their victims and when they take away others' right to live, they have now lost their own.
May. 06, 2015 at 11:27 PM • Report
KingCobraaa
The truth is once you realize just how bad the underbelly of crime is, you can't help feeling happy that they are removing vermin from this planet.
Apr. 27, 2015 at 3:13 AM • Report
LittleRedDeliriousPrince
I agree with everything you said. In fact I was thinking about this last night, what with the man responsible for the Boston Marathon incident being given the death sentence and all.
Apr. 17, 2015 at 1:04 PM • Report
Amai-kun
I absolutely agree. Your opinion is stated in a thoughtful and eloquent way, and you've done a good job editing your piece as well.
Mar. 31, 2015 at 8:24 PM • Report
bandgeek23
I agree with you a hundred percent. No one deserves to be executed for what they have done. Murder is the same thing as capital punishment. You're killing a person that killed another, just because it comes from the state doesn't mean it's right to execute a person.
Feb. 23, 2015 at 9:42 AM • Report
Doctorbug
Very well put.
Jan. 31, 2015 at 10:02 AM • Report
kflynn119
I totally agree with you. People go and kill others and then they get killed, not right. They should stay in jail and have to feel bad for the rest of their life for what they did. Its less painful for them to just get killed.
Jan. 31, 2014 at 2:30 PM • Report
RutvikS.
I don't think they should let the murders get away easily and they should pay the pricein jail, but the death penality is a great choice.
Jan. 31, 2014 at 2:27 PM • Report
Aarif
Precisily!
Jan. 31, 2014 at 2:35 PM • Report
Alex M.
I agree with you because they should also learn their lesson and stay in jail. They are pretty much just getting of easy with death.
Jan. 31, 2014 at 2:21 PM • Report
Close