Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

Capital Punishment Is Dead Wrong This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

By Olivia H., Oneida, WI

Murder is wrong. Since childhood we have been taught this indisputable truth. Ask yourself, then, what is capital punishment? In its simplest form, capital punishment is defined as one person taking the life of another. Coincidentally, that is the definition of murder. There are 36 states with the death penalty, and they must change. These states need to abolish it on the grounds that it carries a dangerous risk of punishing the innocent, is unethical and barbaric, and is an ineffective deterrent of crime versus the alternative of life in prison without parole.

Capital punishment is the most ­irreparable crime governments perpetrate without consequence, and it must be abolished. “We’re only ­human, we all make mistakes,” is a commonly used phrase, but it is tried and true.

Page 1 of 8

Share this article:

Share on Facebook   Share on Google+   Share on Twitter

Join the discussion

37 comment(s)
john
This is so funny, i am died in tears
Feb. 09, 2016 at 3:14 PM • Report
ScarletCity
Capitol Punishment is the whole, "An eye for an eye, tooth for tooth." And, if we don't subject them to the death penalty, what do you suggest? Letting them rot in jail? Besides, these are not innocent lives. Their murderers
Nov. 20, 2015 at 10:38 PM • Report
hunterrjordan10
I disagree with Olivia H. on her piece, “Capital Punishment Is Dead Wrong”. She says,” There are 36 states with death penalty, and that needs to change.” I don’t agree with her because if someone actually deserves it, and they have killed many people, they should be put to death for what they have done.
Nov. 06, 2015 at 11:39 AM • Report
JUST_SAYING
hey in a way you are right but don't you think when the government is allowing people to take other people's life, they are pretty much saying vengeance is okay. i just think the if the government allow it they will not be leading us by example because they are saying since they murderer killed someone now they have to kill the murderer to show everyone that killing people is humane.
Dec. 02, 2015 at 3:25 AM • Report
alissagraves
The article says, “There are 36 states with the death penalty, and they must change,” and I completely agree. You also talk about how it risks the punishment of the innocent, and I agree with that as well. Death penalty is dangerous and easier than spending life in prison without parole.
Nov. 04, 2015 at 2:40 PM • Report
CalebRJ
Your piece on capital punishment reflects views similar to mine as it explains how the specific policy is morally unsound in society today. One particular part in the piece explains exactly as I see why capital punishment need be abolished, it writes, “It can be said that the death penalty is the most overlooked form of government hypocrisy; we murder people who murder people to show that murder is wrong.” This logic of government hypocrisy, a government acting in ways denounced by itself is clearly odd as it is the just for the policy’s purposefulness; as you explained that states unopposed to capital punishment have not proven better than those opposed in the efforts of reducing crime in that state rather than a punishment such as life without parol, which is less costly.
Nov. 04, 2015 at 1:08 PM • Report
Sheebell101
I agree, especially when saying Capital punishment “is an ineffective deterrent of crime versus the alternative of life in prison without parole.” Spending the majority of a lifespan full of guilt and in prison makes them suffer their consequences more than capital punishment.
Nov. 04, 2015 at 1:07 PM • Report
trinriley
I agree with all that was said. Capital Punishment is “dangerous risk of punishing the innocent, is unethical and barbaric, and is an ineffective deterrent of crime versus the alternative of life in prison without parole” and should be abolished before anymore innocent people get murdered for a crime they didn’t commit.
Nov. 04, 2015 at 1:03 PM • Report
SommerJ
I strongly agree with capital punishment is dead wrong. No human being should ever take the life of another. I think this because once you are dead there is no coming back. The story said “There are 36 states with the death penalty, and they must change” I believe that should change.
Nov. 04, 2015 at 9:58 AM • Report
IM BEGGING
Keep going please
Oct. 22, 2015 at 7:12 PM • Report
Close