Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

Catch-22 by Joseph Heller This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

By Anonymous, Homer, AK

"That's some catch, that Catch-22," said Yossarian in Joseph Heller’s novel of the same now-popular phrase, Catch-22. Heller was inspired to write the book after his World War II experience, but only as a short story, originally titled Catch-18. The main character John Yossarian resembles the author in his views on death and religion among other things. The book jumps around between either the characters’ viewpoints or the timeframe almost every chapter, which can become confusing later into the book. Repetition can become monotonous, with entire pages seemingly duplicated, and characters whose name is Major Major Major, and whose rank is a Major, but for the most part it plays an important role in keeping thinks complicated and amusing.
There’s only one “catch” in reading this book, and that’s there more than just those pesky logic puzzles with no solution, there are paradoxes, cornelian dilemmas, and other similar chaotic mind-bending situations that compile on each other until in some places the reader has to stop and wonder just how these people function, and to figure out what exactly is going on.

Continue Reading »

Be the first to comment on this!

Close