Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

A Toast

By GretaGibson, vancouver, Canada

This is for the dreamers of the day, and the kids who don’t sleep at night
It’s for the punks with their hair dyed and their parents who don’t understand their need for freedom.
This is for the teachers, the great ones, the horrible ones, the ones who make us skip class and hide in the bathroom we hate them so much, and the ones who teach us things school never could.
And this is for the kids who have notebooks full of plans to run away and who are standing at the end of their driveway with their backpacks.
This is for the ones to take that first step past their front door.
This is for the ones who turn around and go back
It’s also for the teenagers who sit there in the hallway feeling more alone than anyone else in the world, watching people walk by never knowing that those people feel just as alone as they do.

Continue Reading »

Join the discussion

5 comment(s)
Thank you - you have no idea how that made me feel. I read the first line and started crying
Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:56 PM • Report
This is Beautiful
Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:03 PM • Report
it's meaning is powerful and meaningful to the teens of the nations. Very Nice Job. Could you comment and rate my work as well.. I'm trying to do this professionally some day. Thanks :)
Nov. 15, 2012 at 3:11 PM • Report
This is also for you. This is for making a  biography of me . really nice poem
Nov. 15, 2012 at 6:39 AM • Report
I enjoyed every minute of reading your poem but I got confused at this part: "This is for the tears on your friend’s cheek that finally got her to call you up at 5 in the morning where she hadn’t slept all night, so it’s also for the secrets she told you while you were still half asleep."
Nov. 14, 2012 at 5:33 PM • Report