Batman (1989) | Teen Ink

Batman (1989)

By ChevyPillow PLATINUM, Fairfield, Connecticut
ChevyPillow PLATINUM, Fairfield, Connecticut

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick @ss...and i'm all out of bubblegum." (They Live 1988)

Knox: You know what they say? They say he can't be killed. They say he drinks blood. They say...
Eckhardt: I say... you're full of s***, Knox. Oh, uh, you can quote me on that.

Before this film Batman was mostly thought of as a silly cartoon. The old TV show from the 60s was entertaining to watch nonetheless, but it completely ruined the essence of the original idea of Batman: who I still think to this day is the most interesting superhero out there. Batman is a vengeful knight who avenges the dark streets of Gotham. The show with Adam West embodied that TERRIBLY and made Batman's character no different than Superman! While still fun, there was nothing really special about Gotham there either. That is why Burton's take on all of this worked so brilliantly. Batman really needed a fresh new tone to it and Tim Burton's dark atmosphere is just what we needed.

The Joker: I have given a name to my pain, and it is Batman!

Of course, not everything here is great. The movie doesn't really focus on Batman quite enough and it focuses a little too much on The Joker. All of these character's actions in this movie can be quite rediculous, like having the Joker fall in love with Vicki Vale. Yes, that is very stupid, but I only notice this stuff now because I have watched the Chris Nolan films which make this look very dumb by comparison. You obviously cannot compare the two types of approaches. With that being said, this is still a loved and enjoyable movie. The performances are great fun, the score by Danny Elfman is spectacular. I used to watch this movie a lot as a kid and all of these notable aspects still hold up pretty greatly today.

Nic: Don't kill me man! Don't kill me! Don't kill me man!
Batman: I'm not going to kill you but I want you to tell all your friends about me.
Nic: What are you?
Batman: I'm Batman.

As it stands (by itself) this is one HELL of an improvement to the 60s cheese-fest, and is also a pretty damn great movie.

There will always be room in my heart for this first theatrical Batman movie.

Honestly, haven't you ever heard of the healing power of laughter? hahahahahahahaha Now get outta here!