Marilyn Monroe | Teen Ink

Marilyn Monroe

By Jshanab BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
Jshanab BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona

“I am selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you cannot handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell do not deserve me at my best.” (Marilyn Monroe) This quote was written by one of the most inspirational stars of our time. This is one of my favorite quotes; it has many different meaningful meanings to the quote and helped me get through a lot. Marilyn Monroe said this to help and inspire people to be themselves and never let other people to put them down for who they really are.

The quote can be defined in many ways. The connotation of this quote is that no one should care what the media, enemies, friends, or families say about them. No one has the right to judge who they are or by what they do. If they do not want to be patient for who the person is in their horrible days or their repulsive side, then they do not deserve for who he or she are when they are outstanding. It also could mean, people should always fight for what they believe in, stand up, and accept for who they really are. No matter what the person does including making mistakes no one should judge him or her, everyone makes mistakes, and nobody is sublime. The denotation of this quote is that if he or she does not know how to handle someone at their worst time, then they do not deserve him or her at their best time. Accept unique people for what makes them who they are.

“I am selfish, impatient and a little insecure…” is describing Marilyn Monroe when she is at one of her worst times. The meaning of being selfish is not caring about anybody else but yourself. Impatient is lack of being calm and patient. Everyone are impatient when it comes to certain things, either waiting in line for food or being called up to see the doctors, or a little kid waiting, all excited for opening their presents on Christmas day. Insecure is not being confident for who the person is, or what they are. Girls are insecure about not going to places without make-up on; they think they need it everywhere they go.

“…I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle…” Everyone has made mistakes once in their life, if not maybe multiple of times. Sometimes making a mistake can ruin someone’s life, but the best part of making a slip up, the person learns from it, and could change him or her to be or do something sophisticated. Being out of control does not want to follow somebody’s rules; they think they have more freedom to do anything they want.

“…But if you cannot handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell do not deserve me at my best.” This sentence describes that if no one can handle anybody else in their dreadful and awful days, when they are imperfect then they do not deserve them in their finest and admirable side.

I had people to tell me what does Marilyn Monroe’s quote means to them. One of them defined it as take them who they are or what they are, if they do not like it, then just walk away and do not judge. Another one said that there are boys that care about their girlfriends but when they got to know them more, especially got to know their emotional side, the boys may not accept it and walk away. If a guy truly is in love with a girl, then he should accept her during her emotional, scary mess, whether they appreciate it or not. Take her as who she is on either her amazing, sweet side the boy knew or her horrifying, dreadful phase that the boy wishes he never knew. If he cared and loved the girl so much then he would grow out of it and be mature about it, he would never walk away and leave her heartbroken.

Marilyn Monroe motivated a handful of people that needs inspiration for their everyday life. Her quotes have true meanings that inspire people to push themselves to be the best, and to never give up on their hard work they have done. Meaningful quotes and words help some people to be who they are today; they depend on the definition of the quotes and the words. It is either a word that identifies someone inside or out, or a quote that makes someone feel wanted and to reach a goal to be their finest. A great or hurtful word can change a person’s life to be admirable or dreadful, same with quotes, depending on how the people define them.

Marilyn Monroe has been my inspiration for so long and I thought I should share what her quotes mean to me.