Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

The Meteorite In My Library This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

Alena D., Hemet, CA By aladine_98, Hemet, CA

There’s a meteorite in my school’s library. Over half of the people who walk through the door don’t notice it, and probably never will. It just sits quietly in a display case on the lower floor. People pass by and don’t stop to wonder. A huge chunk of dull grey metal from outer space.

I stop today, and examined it for the third time. I read the description, and one of the lines caught my eye. “Almost every ‘shooting star’ you see at night is actually a meteor. When a meteor hits Earth it’s called a meteorite.”

I pause thoughtfully, pressing my hands to the clear glass. And then I imagine the piece of metal before me heating up, glowing red-orange as it hurtles through our atmosphere, finally making contact with our planet in a cloud of dirt and debris.

Continue Reading »

Join the discussion

4 comment(s)
This was simple, yet breathtaking. You've made my heart hurt for the meteor, its glory days long gone, just waiting for someone to walk by and take a look. I feel like you've righted some great cosmic wrong by writing this piece, and I'm feeling very privileged to have gotten to read it. ... Wow, that was weird. Weren't we just talking about a rock in a library? ;)
Feb. 20, 2015 at 12:23 AM • Report
Huh. I never even noticed! But I suppose that's the point. XD Lovely lovely~
Jul. 01, 2013 at 9:53 PM • Report
I like how you wrote this peice about how there are such cool things that people over look. It was very well written! :)
Jan. 10, 2013 at 10:43 AM • Report
Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate it. :)
Jan. 10, 2013 at 6:46 PM • Report