Different | Teen Ink

Different

Ever felt different from everyone around you?
Ever seen someone and thought they're different from you and everyone else?
Weird even?
Have you ever witnessed a person being isolated or bullied for being different from other people?
Even if they can't help it?
Ever done anything to put a stop to it?
Being different can be a living hell for the person experiencing it, especially if that difference is known by everyone around them. Whether it's a lisp, a slight limp in their walk, a learning disability - dyslexia, dyspraxia. Anything. If it's there and it's known it's a hindrance. People think if you're not like everybody else then there's something wrong with you. Is that right? No, it's wrong. If anything it's better to be different. It presents a uniqueness in that person that's not evident in everyone. Who wants to be a sheep anyway?
But a thing to remember is, that there will always be people who are going through the same things as they are. Being different isn't rare. Whether those people are in the next classroom or another country, they are there and they are dealing with the same issues as people you know who might be considered different.
And bullying people for being different is wrong. and not just that it's immoral, especially if they can't help being who they are.

Being different isn't a bad thing and I want people to know that. That said, bullying people who are different isn't right and must be stopped. Bullying of any form MUST be stopped.