The Touch of an Angel | Teen Ink

The Touch of an Angel

By LiveLoveandDie121 BRONZE, Loveland, Ohio
LiveLoveandDie121 BRONZE, Loveland, Ohio

If you can't handle me at my worst you don't deserve my best.

Prologue
Purple skies and trees flash before my eyes. Standing there, in the shadows, the black figure had caught up to me. I trip over the inconveniently placed tree root. The large shadow stood in front of me. My vision went black. That’s all I remember about that night.
Chapter 1
The bright lights of my hospital room startle me as I awake at 7:52 a.m. I look at my monitor to see how my stats are. My heart rate was normal for a girl who has no idea what she’s doing or where she is. Blood pressure’s a little elevated but nothing too severe. I’m studying at Stanford to become an orthopedic surgeon. I just graduated high school.
I check around the room and sitting in front of the window was a familiar face, I just can’t remember the corresponding name. There he sat, a handsome man, looks about my age, I think. His brown eyes match his spiky hair and he is very muscular. I move my bangs from in front of my face and begin to ask,,
“Who are… ”
“ You don’t remember me?” he interrupted.
I just stare at him.
“Do you even know who you are?” he asked with a concerning tone.

My eyes begin to water because its true I don’t know who I am.
“Don’t cry,” his deep voice echoes in my ears. “My name is Heath. You are Violet, the love of my life. We are in medical school together. You’ve got these unique purple eyes…”
He continues, but my thoughts toned him out. I want to smile, but I can’t. I don’t know who this is guy is. He could be just some stalker. I continue to watch him and think about who I am until I hear this loud noise. Almost like the shattering of glass. The lights go out. Before my eyes can adjust to the sudden darkness, the door to my room slams shut. I feel a cold draft against my neck. I can sense a powerful force just beyond my room. Heath locks the door and lies in the bed with me.
“What’s going on?” I stutter.
He whispers to me, “It’s here, but don’t worry I’m here to protect you.”
Chapter 2

The room became silent. I could hear my heart pounding in my chest. Out of nowhere my monitor starts freaking out. A pain surged through my veins. Heath jumps off the bed. I can feel my body thrashing violently. Heath begins screaming but I don’t know what he’s saying. I can’t help myself, I close my eyes and I allow for unconsciousness to consume me.

Whiteness fills my mind. I’m just standing there in the middle of nothingness. I see Heath in the distance, at least I think it is. I see him begin his walk towards me. When he reaches me I spit out the words.
“Where am I?”

He just stares into my eyes. He looks like Heath but there’s a strange vibe coming from him. He just stands there and gives me this big creepy grin.
“You are going to die,” he says in a calm voice.
He grabs my wrists. I try to pull away from the demon[b] but I can’t get free. He pushes me to the floor but before I can hit the blank ground, my eyes fly open and I gain my sight back. He is standing right next to me, leaned over my bed, and there are tears rolling down his cheeks. I gasp for air.
“Don’t you ever do that to me again,” he whimpers[c].

I don’t know if I can trust him. Maybe he is the one who attacked me. Was that a memory? Or was I just imagining things? I fake a smile and see the door was still closed. I tear the IV from my arm and scoot to the edge of the bed. I try to stand up but stumble and catch myself before I hit the floor. Heath rushes over to help me but I push him away and help myself up, regaining my balance. I walk over to a black purse, I guess its mine[d]. I search it and feel something sharp within[e]. As I pull it out I realize my hand is bleeding. When I took a look at the object I realized it was a dagger. It had a golden handle and blood trickled down the blade.
“We need to get out of here,” I say with confidence in my weak voice.

I head to the door and turn the lock. As the door creaks open I am shocked at what lies in the next room.
Chapter 3

The room is dark except for one flickering ceiling light. There are about twenty corpses sprawled across the blood soaked floor. In front of me, one survivor is fighting a shadow like creature. She pulls a pistol out and shoots it in the chest, causing the creature to disappear completely. She turns to me and smiles.
“Oh good morning, Violet,” she says in a surprisingly calm voice.
“Hello?”

I’m not sure who she is but Heath looks at her as if she is some kind of hero.
“Amnesia still got you confused, honey?”

She reveals her identity. Apparently her name is Rosemary and she was in the forest when I passed out. She helped Heath bring me back to the city.
“The demons followed you here,” she turns and says to Heath.
“Demons?” I ask.
Heath lets a long sigh, “I’ll explain everything later. We have to keep you safe.”

He starts off down the hall and I chase after him. Rosemary follows, just in case I need any medical attention. We set off for the woods on the edge of town.
Chapter 4

The forced was dark and they had a similar atmosphere to them. As I try to remember my life before the hospital while[f] doing this I realize this is the place where I was attacked. Then suddenly I get this pain in my head. I close my eyes trying to relieve the pain. But then I saw something. It wasn't in the environment around me. It was something my mind conjured up.

I saw a dark haired guy with eyes as red as an apple. He's with a girl. She looks to be about 15 years old. Wait is that Heath I see[g]. He's walking towards the strange looking man. His face is gone pale. Is he gets closer to him and Heath begins to change in a way I can't describe. I can see myself. I'm crying. I don't know what's going on all I know is I can't let this happen.

Light flickers and the premonition ends. Reality becomes clear and Rosemary is doing something to my hand.
" I got a pulse," she screamed.
" It must've been another vision," Heath realized.
"Does she do this a lot?"
Heath answered with a simple lot of his head. The scenery is peaceful compared to the situation. The peacefulness spades when we all turn and hear the snapping a twig in the surrounding terrain.
Chapter 5

We stay on alert as the sounds get louder and louder.
Rosemary starts to talk," Heath isn't this where they attacked you last time?"
Heath chuckles," I'm so glad I'm immortal."
"Well I'm just a human."
"Don't worry I've got your back[h]."
I stand up grabbing Heath for support. He grabs my arm and pulls me up. Is he really is the man of my "vision?"
"Get ready, Violet!" Heath says handing me my dagger.
"Aim for the heart. It won't kill them, but it will destroy their human form. Their spirits[i] will return to the underworld."

I grip the handle avoiding the blade. The first creature lunges towards Rosemary. One shot to the chest in the body falls to the ground. I could see his spirit sinking into the ground . More came out, in dozens. I take out a middle aged woman and then a teenage boy. Heath is occupied by a group of five. I hear a scream from behind us and I turn around. Rosemary falls to the ground. A large sword had been stabbed through her abdomen. As blood pours from her wound, she tries to talk but can't.
With an aggressive voice I commanded, " Don't talk! Heath get over here!"
I look over my shoulder to see Heath killing the last one, who looks as if she was a girl at the age of eight. He just leave the body and walks casually over.
"How is she doing?" he asks.
"I'm fine," she started, "I just need to.."

Her voice fades until she can no longer be understood. Her eyes are not blinking anymore, so I graze my hand over her face, closing them for her.
"I'm sorry, Heath begins, " I know you don't remember thi[j]s, but she's the reason you're alive."

I begin to cry. He puts his hand on my shoulder and sighs.
" Violet it's time for you to learn the truth. I can help you remember."
Chapter 6
" I can restore your memories with a simple touch. I was waiting for the right time. You must know now before anything else happens."
He lays his right hand on my chest over my heart.

I see my mom's funeral. Flowers piled up by her name engraved into a chipped stone. My mind transitions to my high school graduation where are only my teacher, Mr. Taylor, is there to support me. The next memory is of me sitting in a classroom but it's not a classroom in high school. Oh, it's me at Stanford. A boy just sat down next to me , it's Heath. As these memories come and go I begin to remember people and conversations. Now I'm standing next to a lake. Heath grabbed my hand and I begin to glow. I mean literally. I sprout wings and a golden ring above my head. I'm an angel! Now the auditory part of my flashbacks has returned. It's of the forest. The forest we are currently in. Heath and I are sitting on a rock.
"I love you!" Heath exclaimed.

Next thing I know I can see the two of us kissing . This is when heyy[k] oung girl chases after me.
"Run!!" he yells and then turns to the girl.
"Lotus! Stop!"

He tries to stop her but she pushes him out of the way like he is weightless. Lotus. She's the girl from my vision earlier. Lotus grabs me and attacks me, the same way Rosemary was killed. That's when the flashbacks stop.

I look at Heath and I get this warm feeling in my heart. I hug him as tightly as I can.
He chuckles, " I guess you know everything now."
I push him away and he gives me a puzzled look.
"Lotus," I whispered under my breath,"she's close."
Chapter 7
I stand and take a look around.
"Come on Heath we've got to get out of here."

We take off sprinting but I got tripped by one of the demons who wasn't killed. Heath tries to free me, but he grabbed from behind. An arm around his neck begins to cut off the blood circulation to his face causing him to become really pale. All I can see are two small black wings. Lotus, I knew it was her.
"Seth, take her to Laburnum[l]." she says with a smirk on her face.

She pushes Heath to the ground and wraps a rope tightly around his wrists. As he stands he walks alongside of Seth. Lotus begins to speak again.
" I knew you were here. Your friend's scream gave away your location. What a pity."

The rest of the walk is silent. Finally we reach hey dark cave. Lotus
walks in first and bangs on the wall three times.
"Lotus looks familiar," I whispered to Heath.
"Lotus was an angel. She was captured as a baby and was raised as a demon. She is the strongest one here."
I could tell Lotus was eavesdropping by her comment," Why thank you but my power is nothing compared to Master Laburnum."

A wall slide open revealing a long, humid tunnel. As we journeyed farther down into the demon's' lair the temperature rises. Something bad is going to happen, I just know it. I just found out who I am, I just found out that Heath is the love of my life, I can't die now. The tunnel empties into a throne room, where the strange man sits as their king.
Chapter 8
His red eyes focus on me as we approach his throne.
"Oh Heath," he begins," it is so lovely to see you again."

All Heath does is look at the floor.
"Look at me when I'm talking to you," Laburnum demanded.

He walks towards Heath and grabs him by the throat. Heath gives up and look straight into his eyes. The man let's go of Heath and walk towards me. He grabs my hand and presses his cold lips to it for a second.
"So you're Violet such a beautiful girl but so naive."
I pull my hand away from him. He just ignores me and goes back to his throne.
"Now let's get things started shall we,"
he says,"Violet, I'm Laburnum and you must be destroyed."
Chapter 9

I look over at Heath who is still bound up like a dog on a leash. Laburnum starts again,"Lotus you know what to do."
Lotus lays her right hand on Heath's left shoulder. His eyes because black is as the night sky. Lotus removed his rope shackles. He begins his walk towards me and grabs my wrist I can't break free.
" Lotus stop this!" I scream.
"Why should I?!" she responded.
"Just think about who you are."
Heath quickly turns me around and presses his forearm to my throat. His other arm stretches across my forehead. I knew he could easily snap my neck and kill me now.
"Lotus you're good. You're pure of heart."

"I am?"

"Yes, just do what's right."

I feel Heath tighten his grip around my neck. Then suddenly I see a blinding lights. Heath lets go of me and I fall to the ground. I gasp for air. As I look up, I know she had made the right choice. The black of her wings fades as the light consumes her. Her halo becomes pure gold again. She's such a pretty girl. For long yellow dress sways as she runs to me.
"Nooooo!" screams Laburnum. "I want[m] have this. If you want something done right you have to do it yourself."
Chapter 10
Heath with his eyes returned to normal he is overcome by demon minions. They once again restrain him and drag him to their master. I begin bawling. Wait... my vision.I wipe my tears and stand.
"Let him go!"
"Or else what?"
"Take me instead."
Laburnum makes a gesture with his hand and his minions return to the darkness. I approach him slowly. When I am about to feet away from him, Heath grabs me.
"Don't do this."
"I'll be okay. Take care of Lotus."
Let's go of me as a single tear rolls down his face. Laburnum grabs my hand once more. He stood in front of me facing away from my new friend and the love of my life. I can see the flashbacks playing back in my head again. I prepare for death when I feel something splatter on my shirt. Its blood but it's not mine. I watch as Laburnum hits the ground. Behind him I see Lotus with her bow out. I sigh in relief. The arrow went straight through his heart. The shadow of his spirit arose from his body and hid in the darkness with the rest of his followers. I make my way back to Heath who has just taken Lotus's bow from her.
" I love you too!" I exclaim.
He turns to me and wraps his arms around my waist. In response to this I wrap my arms around his neck. You know what comes next. The sparks flew as our lips came in contact. This is when my life became complete.
Epilogue
Three years later...
Heath and I have been married for 2 years now. I am an orthopedic surgeon and he just started his first year as a surgical intern. I walk in the house looking for him because I have some exciting news.
"Heath!"
In the next room I hear," I'm here."
"Come here, please."
"What is it?"

I took a deep breath as he entered the room tears of joy roll down by cheek.
"We're going to have a daughter."
"What?"
" I'm pregnant."
" Hey, I have an idea for a name."
Heath smiled and gave me his suggestion.
"How about Rosemary?"
"It's beautiful. I can't believe this is happening. I can't wait to tell Lotus."
A new adventure was about to begin
.

In our class Mrs. Adkins told us to write a story. Dark and twisted stories are my specialty so this is what I came up with.