Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

True Beauty This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

By Matraca, Shawnee, KS

When most people think of the word “beautiful,” they think of models and movie stars. I admit I used to be one of them. I used to wish I was skinnier, had fuller lips, or eyes that were a vivid shade of blue, green, or hazel. My friends and I would talk for hours about how we wanted to be tall, beautiful women with airbrushed skin like models. Now my perspective has drastically changed.

The day that I discovered what true beauty really is, I was with my parents and little brothers at McDonald's. We decided to sit in the Playplace, so my brothers could play with all the other kids while we waited for our food. Since Mickey D's only has tables with four chairs, I'm always the one to get booted to a nearby table to sit by myself. Usually, I'm a little peeved, but this time, it worked out perfectly.

Continue Reading »

Join the discussion

3 comment(s)
This is a lovely observation and you've managed to write it so well! :) I'm glad you found out about true beauty.
Jan. 30, 2014 at 3:19 AM • Report
This is really well-written. I loved everything about this piece, especially how you captured her emotions.
May. 02, 2013 at 10:49 AM • Report
Thanks so much! The words just kinda flowed when I saw her
Oct. 24, 2013 at 12:31 PM • Report