Aerobics to A's | Teen Ink

Aerobics to A's

By Sarah Rodeo PLATINUM, New York, New York
Sarah Rodeo PLATINUM, New York, New York

Are you feeling the heat as due dates rapidly approach? Does your heart skip a beat every time you hear the word “tests” uttered (which is probably over a hundred times a second during exam season)? Are you flooded with despair and hopelessness every time you so much glance at your study guides?
Maybe your only desire is to forget about the long hours of studying ahead of you. Maybe all you want to do is to toss away your books and flop down on the couch to some Modern Family, a bowl of popcorn at hand. However, what you really may need is a good workout.

It is well-known that the endorphin release from exercise boosts energy levels, an excellent remedy for all late-night caffeine addicts! Exercise burns cortisol and norepinephrine hormones, which cause stress, while at the same time instigating dopamine and serotonin hormone. This stimulates happiness and relaxation.
Studies have demonstrated that exercise can improve memory, attention span, reasoning ability and problem-solving skills by 15% to 20%. Physically-fit children also tend to multitask and conquer difficult mental concepts far better than their un-athletic peers. Exercise burns calories as well, which has shown to protect brain proteins and improve overall cognitive efficiency.

So, instead of slacking off on your workouts because you’re “too tired”, “too stressed” or “too busy”, get up and pump up your heart rate in some way, even if it’s only at moderate intensity for 30 to 45 minutes. Go for a walk, take a spinning or dance class, hop on the treadmill, or do some yoga. You’ll be glad you did.