Lets Cheers to This/A Trophy Father's Trophy Son by Sleeping With Sirens | Teen Ink

Lets Cheers to This/A Trophy Father's Trophy Son by Sleeping With Sirens

By ilianabelen BRONZE, Thornton, Colorado
ilianabelen BRONZE, Thornton, Colorado

Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about CREATING yourself.

The song “A Trophy Father’s Trophy Son” (written by the lead singer of Sleeping With Sirens, Kellin Quinn) has a strong theme of abandonment and corrupt families. The band is known for its relatable emo-stylistic lyrics and aggressive music. This song was a perfect fit for the band’s second album “Lets Cheers to This.”

The actual music of this song starts slow and picks up in tempo until it comes to a climax, while the end of the song slows down to match the pace of the beginning. The lyrics match the music along with the feeling and meaning of the song. As the music picks up, the listener becomes part of the song with each note until they end up screaming the lyrics with the band.

Kellin Quinn teams up with the band’s rhythm guitarist Jesse Lawson on vocals. The two powered together make a lasting impression on the audience and make this song stick out over other songs about dysfunctional families. While Kellin’s higher pitched voice sings and Jesse screams the lyrics, the listener is feeling the anger towards whoever walked out on them just as Kellin likely felt towards his father when he left. The repetitive lines “Was it something I did?” and “Is this what you call a family?” suggest a strong mixture of confusion and anger.

“A Trophy Father’s Trophy Son” is a great release for anyone who has felt abandoned by a family member or close friend. When I first heard this song it reminded me of my relationship with my father. The last two lines of the chorus were the most therapeutic for me. “When I go to sleep at night, you’re not there/ When I go to sleep at night, do you care?” These lines have reminded me of the last few years with my dad and though they bring back the hurt he caused, they also help me release the stress and hurt I feel towards him. This song helps me through a lot and I feel that it can help others that go through this same pain.

When looking at the lyrics of this song, you can tell that Kellin put a lot of sentimental meaning into each word. While he releases his feelings through music, he helps fans and listeners release their feelings. Each use of the word “family” establishes the irony and brings into question what a real family is. Every time he questions and doubts himself, you can tell it’s a reflection of his feelings from when his father left him. When he questions his father about why he left, it is a reflection of how Kellin feels, but also a reflection of how each person who has been abandoned may feel.

“A Trophy Father’s Trophy Son” is one of Sleeping With Sirens’s first hits and remains a song they always preform live. It is such a success due to the overwhelming crowd response and connection. It’s a song that helps many people through tough times and emotional scars. This song is part of a cultural revolution and needs to be recognized.

Aaron_Moreno_Pierce_The_Veil BRONZE, Angleton, Texas
1 article 1 photo 2 comments

"Never apologize for who you are" -Kellin Quinn

Sleeping With Sirens is my favorite band and this is my favorite song because it relates to my life. My father left when I was born and my mother gave me away when I was 5. This article is really good. I really liked it.