Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

Vienna This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

By TJWilliams, Chiang Mai, Thailand

The townspeople were forever speculating about Vienna; her behavior a source of lurid gossip in our small town. A self-righteous lot, the townspeople had a vanity that left no room for empathy. Abnormal, Crazy, Freak were the only labels their frame of mind could hang on her.

But I've long buried my resentment toward them, and made peace with their pettiness. Whether unwilling or unable, they never saw through her torment. Their bigotry robbed them of charity and compassion. But at her core, Vienna was innocent, loving, and kind. She never harmed a soul. She, too, was robbed; and deserving of so much more than she was given.

Nearly 11 at the time of our relocation, Vienna changed when we changed homes. What previous balance there might have been was discarded along with the worn cardboard moving boxes.

Continue Reading »

Join the discussion

2 comment(s)
aladine_98
Wow. This story sent chills through my spine... You built up the power so that by the time you get to the last sentence, it hits like a hammer. Your diction was also impressive: you used many words that I usually don't see being used in teen writing. You're a good writer. :)
Feb. 02, 2013 at 12:31 AM • Report
TJWilliams
wow thank you so much!
Feb. 05, 2013 at 10:24 PM • Report
Close