Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

Ten Seconds to Forgotten

Nik T., Landenberg, PA By Devalara, Landenberg, PA

People have no problem forgetting. Events can be overlooked, actions reasoned with, whole memories: discarded. People can forget about sadness, people can forget about that animal part of themselves, people can forget about themselves. Yes, people can forget, and people can forgive.
But what of the soldier? What of the boy who marched off to the South half-dressed in a uniform and half ready to forget with a smile? A boy who thought he’d be home for Christmas; a boy who thought the field was home, after all. To us, the world is a distraction: a fly, buzzing across the scope of a much larger infinity. Count to ten, and it’ll be gone. This is how you learn to cope with fear. Wounded on the field? Count to ten, you’ll be gone when the numbers max out. Close your eyes, maybe, but count to ten. This is how you’re going to forget.

Continue Reading »

Join the discussion

9 comment(s)
holly1999
Wow! The imagery and description you used was amazing, and your word choice was perfect. I loved the idea, the story flowed well and it was interesting to read from the beginning. Your're a great writer!
Oct. 12, 2013 at 12:08 PM • Report
Devalara
Thanks! ;)
Oct. 12, 2013 at 6:27 PM • Report
AthenaMarisaDeterminedbyFate
This story really put me into the shoes of the soldiers who fought in the Civil War, and how bloody and even absurd the fighting was. No one knew who they were shooting at. The ten seconds idea was wonderful, because you can perfectly imagine how it would feel to be in such a crazy situation that you only remember things for ten seconds. I just love this!
Mar. 16, 2013 at 11:18 PM • Report
Super_Mario_Prose
Thanks a bunch ;)
Mar. 17, 2013 at 10:27 AM • Report
AthenaMarisaDeterminedbyFate
Attention, Super_Mario_Prose: this piece of yours won the Snow Contest, and you need to post what you want ratings and comments for on the Snow Contests Results thread.
Mar. 15, 2013 at 12:30 AM • Report
kmeep
Wow, very detailed! :) I like it!
Mar. 15, 2013 at 7:50 AM • Report
Super_Mario_Prose
Thanks kmeep! ;) And AthenaMarisaDeterminedbyFate, I said you could rate/comment on any of the writings on my page. ;)
Mar. 15, 2013 at 10:03 AM • Report
AthenaMarisaDeterminedbyFate
Oh, yes, now I remember! My memory is failing me :)
Mar. 16, 2013 at 10:53 PM • Report
Super_Mario_Prose
Haha, happens to the best of us ;)
Mar. 17, 2013 at 10:26 AM • Report
Close