Got Apple? | Teen Ink

Got Apple?

By Justin Sweeney BRONZE, Kirkwood, Missouri
Justin Sweeney BRONZE, Kirkwood, Missouri

The sweet, natural aroma fills the air. You wander through a forest of amazing, colorful trees. You stop and reach towards something and grasp it in your fingers. A light “pop” is heard as the wonder releases from the tree. You take a giant, juicy, mind boggling bite out of the wonderful red sensation. A gleaming, perfect, red apple, one of the most common fruits in America. In fact it’s one of the most common foods too, because it’s the best. Apples are very healthy, natural, and most importantly delicious.

Have you ever been told “an apple a day keeps the doctor away?” This common sentence is referring to how healthy an apple actually is. With only 95 calories and 4.4 grams of fiber, apples are an essential fruit to keep you up and running for the rest of the day. Just the skin of the apples is packed full of vitamins A and C. Better yet, apples also help prevent deadly diseases. For example, “The pectin in apples supplies galacturonic acid to the body which lowers the body’s need for insulin and may help in the management of diabetes.” This can help people with diabetes and can help prevent one from getting diabetes. Also, “those who ate the most apples have a fifty percent lower risk of getting lung cancer.” In addition, apples also lower the percentage of getting breast and colon cancer. Lastly, the boron in the apples strengthens the human bones. Overall, the amazing nutrition of an apple leaves you feeling fantastic for the rest of the day.

Along with being healthy, apples taste amazing too. The all famous Granny Smith apple is “very refreshing and works well in salads,” and Fuji apples are “the sweetest of them all.” By themselves they are a delight, but in a recipe they’re  a wonder. How about a steaming, fantastic smelling apple pie pulled just out of the oven? Or an icy glass of apple juice after an intense sweaty game of soccer? Maybe some apple jelly on a fresh crispy peanut butter and jelly sandwich? All of these sensational foods and more wouldn’t exist without apples. Could you imagine making applesauce excluding the apples? Impossible! Apple cider with a disgusting broccoli substitute? No way! So many tasty foods that you eat every day contain some apples, and everyone can admit they’re tasty.

Going “green” is a common term heard by environment supportive folks. Being “green” means to help the environment, not hurt it. It’s very important to “go green” and what’s more green than a Granny Smith apple! Apples are natural and don’t hurt the environment at all. In fact, apples are created by the environment in trees. You can buy an apple without a single wrapper or bag. In opposition, in just the state of California “about 25 million dollars are spent sending plastic bags to landfills each year.” Plastic bags and wrappers hold items like Ding-Dongs and Twinkies that are eaten and sent off to various places. Sometimes, the trash is sent to the dump and other times it ends up on the side of the highway. Either way, the environment is greatly hurt. Over time, these bags and wrappers add up. In just one year Americans “use approximately 1 billion shopping bags, creating 300,000 tons of landfill waste.” This information affects apples in many ways. The average American eats five wrapped snacks a day. If everyone in America ate an apple straight off the cart instead of one wrapped item, the American waste total could go from 1 billion to 200 million. This is a whole fifth smaller than what it is today. More apples eliminate even more bags. Just one single apple a person could change the environment status completely. It’s your choice, an apple or more pollution? Apples are the green in “Go green.”

Overall, apples are extremely beneficial. Why wouldn’t you eat one every day? Keep a bag from being sent to the dump or lower your chances of getting lung, colon, or breast cancer. Satisfy your taste buds! These little red delights taste good, are healthy, and help the environment.