Disabilities | Teen Ink

Disabilities

By paigeobraddd BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
paigeobraddd BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

According to Merriam-Webster's School Dictionary the definition of disable is to be unable or incapable; not have physical, moral or intellectual strength (cripple). The definition of disability is also the lack of ability, power or fitness to do something, and especially hold employment. It is apparent that even the dictionary's definition holds stereotypes. The world is filled with stereotypes, and there are too many directed towards disabled people. This is a big problem that needs to be solved.

There are so many stereotypes about disabled people. According to the online article “Top Ten Negative Stereotypes of Disabled People” some of the main stereotypes are; they will never be in a relationship because they are too different, are all better off dead, useless because they cannot do anything for themselves nor for others, are pathetic attention seekers and are cripples with no purpose. The existence of these stereotypes is horrific. They are humans, and deserve to be treated like humans.

Along with too many stereotypes, there are also a lot of statistics on this problem. People with disabilities are more likely to be victims of bullying, and they are two to three times more likely to be bullied (Queensland Government). According to the “National Bullying Prevention Center,” bullying can diminish someone's ability to learn. Also people with Down Syndrome are more likely to be excluded from activities, and called hurtful names (Queensland Government). Lastly, when someone is being bullied about a disability it is considered harassment (National Bullying Prevention Center). Some states allow disabled people to have legal rights when they are a victim of bullying (National Prevention Center). Bullying is such a huge problem for so many different things, but mixing stereotypes about disabilities and bullying it is extremely harmful. Repeat, harmful. People with disabilities have feelings just like any other human. Their feelings need to be treated with care.

Everyone can do something to fix this problem, and it can start with one person. If dedicated individuals or one individual promised or pledged to not only stop stereotyping against disabled people, but also stop others from doing it; that would make a huge difference in the world. First, everyone needs to be informed how hurtful and terrible stigmas are. People with disabilities are capable of so many things, and all of the stereotypes are false. This could also be done through fun planned events with disabled people, presentations, experienced and influential speakers and much more. This can start with one person. That is all it takes. One individual. To make a change.

This society is filled with stigmas, intolerances and stereotypes that need to be put to rest. Disabled kids are known as the “unseen minority” (Galbraith, Delisle and Espeland, p. 10). All of these stigmas and stereotypes are extremely embarrassing and shameful. We should stand up against bullying and stereotyping disabled people. Make a change.

Works Cited
"Bullying and Harassment of Students with Disabilities." National Bullying Prevention Center. PACER Center, Inc., n.d. Web. 31 Jan. 2013.
Galbraith, Judy, James R. Delisle, and Pamela Espeland. The Gifted Kids' Survival Guide: A Teen Handbook. Minneapolis, MN: Free Spirit Pub., 1996. Print.
"People with Disability." Queensland Government. The State of Queensland, n.d. Web. 31 Jan. 2013.
"Top Ten Negative Stereotypes of Disabled People." Top Ten Negative Stereotypes of Disabled People. N.p., n.d. Web. 31 Jan. 2013.
Webster, Merriam. Merriam-Webster's School Dictionary. Springfield, Mass., U.S.A.: Merriam-Webster, 1994. Print.

This is a persuasive essay about stereotypes on disabled people, and it presents a solution for the stigmas.