Gender Discrimination | Teen Ink

Gender Discrimination

By Schlong181013 BRONZE, Disneyland, Other
Schlong181013 BRONZE, Disneyland, Other

Have you ever wondered why women get paid less than men? Women get treated differently than men and not in a better way. Nobody should have to wake up and wish they were the other gender.

All across the nation, women get paid 77% of what men do. For example, two people are both office workers, one is a man and one is a woman. The man gets $100,000 and the woman gets $77,000 in a year. This is only because the laws have women's rights lower than men's, and nobody is willing to change that. In other terms, the men get paid about 130% of what the women do. This law could almost say, if there was two robots that do the same thing, and one was a guy robot and the other a girl. The guy robot would get 100 robot dollars and the girl would only get 77 robot dollars, even though they are robots and they do the exact same thing. About 4 in 10 girls get made fun of in anyway for being a girl. Compare that to the 1 in 10 for guys.

Women aren't the only ones who get discriminated against. Girls are assumed to be more peaceful, calm, and nice, as guys are assumed to be wild, tough, and careless. So in school, if there are girls getting a bit out of hand, the teachers may think that that is just how far they can go. But, when guys do that same thing, teachers assume that the guys can get more crazy and if it keeps up, they will. Therefore, teachers are more likely to yell at boys than girls. The only place that this might not happen (for which I'm not positive) is the army, navy, air force, etc.

Every problem has a solution though, so I think that the more equal we treat men and women in the workforce, (with respect of the rights) the pay will soon follow and get more and more equal. The nation wants to go forward with the plan, but they need someone to follow.

In conclusion, women get treated unequally compared to men and everyone wants that to change that. Nobody should have to wish they had a different life. It isn't impossible to equalize the workforce, but you have to win the battles in order to win the war.

Works Cited

-Blumenthal, Karen. Let Me Play: The Story of Title IX: The Law That Changed the Future of Girls in America. New York: Atheneum for Young Readers,
2005. Print.
-"Civil Rights Laws." Findlaw. N.p., n.d. Web. 08 Feb. 2013.
-"EEOC Gender Discrimination." EEOC Home Page. N.p., n.d. Web. 08 Feb. 2013.
-"Gender Discrimination in Education." Home. N.p., n.d. Web. 08 Feb. 2013.