Epilepsy | Teen Ink

Epilepsy

By kat17 BRONZE, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
kat17 BRONZE, Pewaukee, Wisconsin

Many people with disabilities are discriminated against and bullied; an example of a disability is epilepsy. Over 2 million Americans have epilepsy and many of them are discriminated against. Epilepsy is the fourth most common neurological disorder in the U.S. After migraines, strokes, and Alzheimer's disease. With epilepsy being such a common disease, many people are discriminated against simply because they simply have been diagnosed with a disease. Since large amounts of people are being discriminated and treated badly, this has become a big problem in society today.

There are many stories about how someone with a physical disability was discriminated and bullied. One story is about a 14 year old boy names Troy who has epilepsy. One day after school on the basketball court an old friend of Troy's came up to him and body slammed him, punched him, and stomped on his head and body (“Troy's Story”). This boy was beaten up because he had epilepsy; to make matters worse an old friend beat him up. No one should have to be treat that way, whether you have some sort of disability or not; no child should be beaten and bullied that way. Another story is about a 14 year old girl named Olivia who was bullied both online and physically. Olivia began to get bullied in 6th grade after she had a seizure at school. After that time bullies would call her names, drag her backpack through the mud, hit and threaten her, made an “Olivia Haters” web page to make fun of her, and wore “Anti-Olivia” bracelets to school. The bullying got so bad that Olivia's mom decided to start home schooling her (The Story of “Olivia's Letters”). This is absolutely horrible that Olivia had to be home schooled because she was bullied for being different from everyone else. No one should be treated so badly.

Many people are now aware that people with physical disabilities are being discriminated. Epilepsy is a medical condition that produces seizures affecting a variety of mental and physical functions (What is Epilepsy?). In September of 2012 a U.S. Attorney filed a discrimination lawsuit against a Crystal-Lake-based group that provides activities for adults and children with disabilities, arguing that it did not accommodate those with epilepsy. The lawsuit claims that the Northern Illinois Recreation Association is violating the Americans with Disabilities Act by not allowing people with epilepsy to receive an anti-seizure medication to people who are suffering from tonic-clonic seizures or grand mal seizures. One of the points made in the lawsuit was that grand mal seizures could be life-threatening if they are left untreated. Another point was that a girl participated in the group’s summer camp in 2007 and 2008, and at that time they agreed to give out the medication if it was needed. Obviously discrimination against people with epilepsy is happening, but it is being discovered and people are trying to put an end to it.
There are many things we can do in our own community to stop people with physical disabilities from getting discriminated and bullied. There are 8 main steps to stop a stigmas and discrimination. The first step is to “Make a Pledge”; you should make the pledge to avoid using words like “crazy”, “weird”, “stupid”, “insane”, etc… when referring to someone with a disability. Step two is to “Take a Stand”, you can ask people to stop promoting a stigma and using hurtful words towards people. The third step is to “Educate Yourself”; knowledge is a powerful tool when you are trying to eliminate stigmas and stereotypes. Step four is “Be an Ally”; if you see someone being discriminated or bullied you should stick up for them. Step five is “Know your Rights”; you should know that someone discriminating others with a disability is illegal. The sixth step is “Be Fearless”; do not be afraid to stick up for what is right. Step seven is “End the Silence”, this step has you talk about how you feel and allows you and others to share stories and get a better understanding of people with disabilities. The last step is “Use your Voice” this sep is telling you to use your voice to make a difference (8 Things You Can Do to Stop Stigma and Discrimination). With these eight steps we may be able to end he stigmas, stereotypes, and discrimination against those with disabilities.

Many people are living with epilepsy and other disabilities, but they also have to live with the stigmas and discrimination that comes with it. People with disabilities are just regular people; everyone needs to see that they are people and should not have to put up with this problem. 48.9 million Americans have disabilities and have to deal with stigmas and discrimination, as a community we need to put an end to this problem.