Depression | Teen Ink

Depression

By TWINZ36 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
TWINZ36 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?
-Vince Lombardi

Depression affects one out of every ten people in the U.S. What is mental illness? Mental illness is a chemical imbalance in your brain. Depression is a medical condition and not a sign of weakness. Many people stigmatize that people who have depression can just overcome their issues. Also depression can happen to anyone just like diseases can. Depression is a serious mental illness and can't just be blown off like it is not a big problem because it is!

There are many statistics showing the stereotypes and facts about depression. Many people think depression is not serious, but they are wrong. According to www.nami.org depression is a mood state that goes well beyond feeling sad or blue. Depression affects ones thoughts, feelings, behavior, mood, and physical health. It is also a life long condition and about 25 million Americans will get a major episode of depression this year alone. In the book, Depression By: Judith Peacock, it states that 17 million people have some type of depressive illness which means there is a good possibility that you know someone who has it. Depression can happen to anyone, rich or poor, strong or weak. People with depression have to face the challenges and stigma that people give them, specifically society. These people sometimes feel worthless and have a low self-esteem, sometimes feeling so hopeless that they take their own lives. If you can do anything, at least accept them for who they are because they are just ill and can't do anything to stop it.

After OCD(Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) and crippling depression pushed her past her breaking point, one young women stopped pretending and finally spoke from the heart. A 16 year old girl was battling with depression and OCD, but was bottling things up. In other words, she was scared to open up to people because she thought she would end up getting hurt. She also didn't tell anyone because she thought she wasn't strong enough to handle things on her own. When people face mental illness's like depression they aren't really themselves. For example, this young girl said, “I kind of created a pretend me to cover all the things I felt insecure about.” She also says in the article that she was very moody, prone to outbursts, and crying for no reason. Again people have to realize that mental illness can happen to anyone. In this case, this young girl was attractive and smart, but still was born with the mental illness. I say that she was born with mental illness because it's not something you can control. The article, It's in the Family, says that she later found out that her grandmother, aunt, and uncle all had depression. When you are scared to tell anyone because you are afraid that people will stereotype you differently, do it anyways! This girl eventually went to the doctor because she couldn't handle things anymore and burst into tears, confessing all of her years of secrets. Right when she made the decision to get help she new people would probably look at her differently. She exclaimed, “I lost a few people I thought were friends, but discovered who really cared about me and gained some true friends.” This does show how people stereotype people with mental illness differently, but people who have a mental illness see a professional for help because it is a treatable illness.

Depression is hard to overcome, but can be effectively controlled with a strong support system and proper medication. A big chunk of that support system is your family. If you are curious and think someone in your family might have depression here are 11 key symptoms to look for that could save lives if you catch them early enough.
1. Persistent sad, anxious, or empty feelings
2. Feelings of hopelessness
3. Feelings of guilt, worthlessness
4. Irritability, restlessness
5. Loss of interest in activities or hobbies once pleasurable
6. Fatigue and decreased energy
7. Difficulty concentrating, remembering details and making decisions
8. Early morning wakefulness, or excessive sleeping
9. Overeating or appetite loss
10. Thoughts of suicide, suicide attempts
11. Persistent aches or pains, headaches, cramps or digestive problems that do not ease, even with treatment
If you or any family members ever notice any of these symptoms let a counselor know so the person who has depression can get help. This person would get treated with the two most common treatments which are mood regulating anti-depressant drugs and psychotherapy. There is only one problem though. The National Institutes of Mental Health study found that the anti-depressant drug worked effectively on only about half of the patients that were treated. Don't worry if the anti-depressant drug doesn't work on someone you know because there are a variety of potentially beneficial interventions for those who suffer from low-grade to major depression. Here are some options they should explore. Among the Institute of Heart Math's scientifically based and noninvasive tools and technology, which have proven effective for many people. Again, you can control depression with a strong family support system and proper medication.

Mental illness, a serious problem, is doubling every ten years. By 2020 it will be only exceeded by heart disease as the most disabling condition. People cannot control whether they get mental illness or not because it is a chemical imbalance in the brain. Also, too many people stigmatize or judge people with depression that they are weak. If you think that you are wrong because it is medical condition, not a sign of weakness. Given these facts, mental illness is a HUGE problem in the United States so we, as a country, have to do something to solve this problem.

Works Cited
"It's in the Family." ReachOut.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 10 Feb. 2013.
"NAMI - The National Alliance on Mental Illness." NAMI: National Alliance on Mental Illness. N.p.,
n.d. Web. 10 Feb. 2013.
Peacock, Judith. Depression. Mankato, MN: LifeMatters, 2000. Print.
"Solutions for Emotional Well-Being." Institute of HeartMath. N.p., n.d. Web. 10 Feb. 2013.