Everyone is Different | Teen Ink

Everyone is Different

By Walmhead BRONZE, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
Walmhead BRONZE, Pewaukee, Wisconsin

According to Webster's School Dictionary the definition of disabilities is to be incapable or lack of ability, power, or employment, also being disabled prevents a person from doing something. The definition of disable is to disqualify legally or to stop physical, moral, or strength (cripple). Even the dictionary stereotypes disabled people. I cannot even use the definition to prove that they are and act like everyone else. People with special needs are incapable of participation, and they are a poor quality, and how they want to be seen regularly. This is a problem that needs to be fixed!

People look at humans with disabilities like they are vulnerable, weak, tragic object of violence and abuse. They are in capable of full participation of everyday life. Some people look at them or talk to them and think how inspirational, brave, or courageous they are. They do not want to be looked at as that, they want to be seen like everyone else. They do not want to sand out. They do not want to be noticed as anything special. When there is a shooting crime on the news. Then later they find out the person holding the gun has a mental disability, the police put them in jail for twice as long as if a person without a disability had done the crime. That is where most of the stereotypes start, when sees a person with a disability they automatically think they are going to hurt somebody. When you see someone with a disability, get to know then before you judge. When there is a choice whether or not to include a disabled person remember they have feelings too.

Imagine if someone came up to you and they said something in your face like this, you are not good enough to get married or have children. You will forever and always have to live in a nursing home, you are forever sick, and too ill to ever be a part of any successful thing, and have poor quality in life. To prove that this is not true at all, there is an important event such as the Special Olympics. This event shows that people of all disabilities abilities can show off their skills to prove they can do as much as everyone else. I believe people think and see no athleticism in the people who are physically challenged. The Special Olympics gives them a chance to show that they are just as athletic and good. Remember that feeling you had when you read the beginning of this paragraph, and invite them to join you and the fun.

I do not think I can stop stereotypical people in the community, but as a school is a good head start. Our school has done thing in the past years. As a school we allow kids with disabilities to have the same opportunities as everyone else. Our school does not stereotype them; it is the kids inside the school we need to stop. To stop the individuals in the school, we need to bring up situations like “Spread the Word, to End the Word” and “Buddies” groups we can only do so much, to try to avoid the stereotypes.

For the people that do not include kids with any type of disability should be embarrassed and need to know the facts and truth about them before they judge. Stand up for what is right, do not go with the wrong crowd.

Works Cited
Merriam-Webster's School Dictionary. Springfield, Mass., U.S.A.: Merriam-Webster, 1994. Print.
N.p., n.d. Web. 31 Jan. 2013.
"Top Ten Negative Stereotypes of Disabled People." Top Ten Negative Stereotypes of Disabled People. N.p., n.d. Web. 31 Jan. 2013.