Lincoln's Gettysburg Address by James Daugherty | Teen Ink

Lincoln's Gettysburg Address by James Daugherty

By mb777 GOLD, Thornwood, New York
mb777 GOLD, Thornwood, New York

Ten sentences spoken for about two minutes is all that was needed for one man to affect the lives of Americans everywhere. Lincoln’s Gettysburg Address illustrated by James Daugherty and published by Albert Whitman & Company is a new edition of Lincoln’s original speech that also includes an afterward by Gettysburg historian Gabor Borritt.

This new edition of Lincoln’s famous speech given in 1863 really emphasizes what America is all about and how this short speech gave new hope to the people of America who had to live through the tough time of the Civil War. Beautifully detailed and colorful illustrations are included to go along with Lincoln’s words that bring out the true message that Lincoln was trying to deliver to the divided country. Symbolism that is used in the illustrations that go along with Lincoln’s powerful speech make the speech much more interesting to read and the illustrations make it easier for readers to comprehend the complex ideas Lincoln was including in his speech. Lincoln’s words alone also give readers a feeling of inspiration just as the same words gave listeners feelings of inspiration and hope.

I would definitely recommend this new edition of Lincoln’s Gettysburg Address to readers who want to learn more about Lincoln’s speech and want to be a part of the group of people who have been inspired already.