Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

Fake Snow and Fast Skiers This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Genna C., San Jose, CA By TheWordShaker, San Jose, CA

Everyone's so fast. Shooting over the ridge from nowhere, skis landing perfectly parallel and out of sight again right away.

I know those ridges. They're called blind hills, if you're being technical. But approaching from above, it's a cliff. Just a flat line between snow and horizon, a sheet of paper so sharp and white you could cut yourself on the edge. All the ski trails lead over the edge, into the void, and your mind says, Okay, right over there, no worries, there's a hill on the other side, and your subconscious says, STOP! Oh my God, it's a cliff! Stop stop stop!

The cliff doesn't faze other skiers; they pop over the edge like they're shot from a gun. Pop-pop-pop. Or like soap squilping out of wet hands and down, swimming around the drain while you scramble in panic.

Continue Reading »

Join the discussion

7 comment(s)
I used to ski a lot when I lived in Colorado, and you seem to have captured the sensations pretty accurately.  Now that I'm starting to drive it's the same feeling of going over a cliff as when you crest a hill and can't see anything beyond the top but you have to keep the gas on or you stall and roll backwards... Anyway, good work!
Dec. 29, 2013 at 8:36 PM • Report
I've never skied before, but now I'm temped to go try it! I saw this in the magizine and had to share it with my family, the ending was wonderful and the whole thing was just great!
Dec. 23, 2013 at 11:44 AM • Report
I loved this! As a Utah skier I know how this feels. It was fantastic! Keep writing :)
Dec. 12, 2013 at 5:18 PM • Report
I really like this article! I am a skiier so I thought you did a great job describing it.
Dec. 10, 2013 at 6:59 PM • Report
I enjoyed this piece, although it felt to me like you were skipping from one topic to the next. First you're talking about the fast skiiers, then about the Brazilian girl (?) then back to fast skiiers. With a little organization, this would be really great. :)
Dec. 07, 2013 at 11:34 AM • Report
Great work! 
Dec. 02, 2013 at 3:20 PM • Report
Nice description. Felt like I was there, it was that real. Good work :)
Apr. 19, 2013 at 7:59 PM • Report