Can I tell you something? | Teen Ink

Can I tell you something?

By thankyoumrsloopner GOLD, Gastonia, North Carolina
thankyoumrsloopner GOLD, Gastonia, North Carolina

"Going into middle or high school, you will be funny or you will be sexual." ~Tina Fey

-Can I tell you something?

-Uh huh.

-'Cause we're been seeing each other for a real long time...

-Uh huh...

-And I really like you...

-Uh huh...

-And I think you like me...

-Uh huh.

-So I'm going to tell you something I've been wanting to tell you for a while now...I love you.

-...uh huh.

-Is that all you're going to say? I just told you I loved you for the first time, and all you have to say is "uh huh?"

-Well...I wasn't prepared for this.

-Wasn't prepared? What, the next time I tell you I love you for the first time, I should send you a memo? Put a Post-It on your desk? Set an alert on your iPhone?

-No, it's just...I had something prepared for tonight, and this kind of screws that up.

-What? Were you planning on breaking up with me?

-No, honey. Quite the opposite.

-Were you planning on proposing? That's a little awkward, considering we haven't even said "I love you" yet.

-You just said "I love you!"

-Yes, but for the first time. You had no possible way of knowing that I was going to tell you I love you today.

-This is insane.

-Are you calling me insane?

-Of course not, dear.

-...what was that tone?

-What tone?

-The way you just said "of course not, dear." That tone. You were using a tone.

-I was not using a tone.

-Yes, you were. It's impossible not to use a tone when speaking. Every time someone talks, they have inflection in their voice, and the subtext of what they're saying is what creates tone!

-Unless you talk like a robot.

-That's monotone! It's a type of tone!

-So, you're saying is that it's impossible to not have a tone when you speak.

-Correct.

-Then why are you mad at me?

-...it was a condescending tone.

-What are you talking about?!

-When you said "of course not, dear," your tone sounded like you were patronizing me.

-I wasn't patronizing you, dear.

-There's the tone again!

-Alright, this is preposterous! Now I think I won't do the amazing thing I was planning to do tonight!

-Whatever you were planning to do, I wouldn't want to do it.

-Well, I was going to take you to dinner at your favorite restaurant, then take you on a walk by the lake, and when the sun went down and the stars came out, I was going to tell you that I love you!

-...now you're being insane.

-Great, I bare my soul, and you call me insane.

-You did not bare your soul. You told me about an event! Telling someone you made dinner reservations is not baring your soul!

-I cannot believe this.

-I can't either! I can't take this anymore! I'm breaking up with you!

-Yeah, well I'm breaking up with you too! Alright?

-Alright!

-...honey?

-Yes, dear?

-

-

-I love you.

-I love you, too.

TheWordShaker SILVER, San Jose, California

"Franz thinks of everything and nothing. He wonders if the world is becoming a dream or a dream is becoming the world."

That's amazing! I love the way you told it entirely in dialogue and still managed to make it so vivid & make it seem like we know the characters even though we never even hear their names. Great job!