My Family Trip to Islamorada, Florida | Teen Ink

My Family Trip to Islamorada, Florida

By Alex Hoehn BRONZE, Lenexa, Kansas
Alex Hoehn BRONZE, Lenexa, Kansas

A couple years ago during spring break, we had nothing planned for the week. So, one morning our parents told us that we were doing something really fun. We were all excited and they told us that we were going to Florida. We were all happy, so we got our bags packed and left on a plane that evening. We flew into Florida and arrived to our hotel later on. We were all excited that we arrived in Florida. The next morning we ate breakfast and went exploring. If you are wondering where we went, we went to the Islamorada on the Florida Keys. We went exploring as I said before and saw some amazing palm trees swaying back and forth in the wind. When we came back to our hotel, there was a beach twenty feet away from the hotel, so we went and played in the water and found some interesting creatures including some tiny crabs and cool fish, along with the millions of seashells there. And that was pretty much the end of the night.

The next morning we slowly woke up and decided to go to breakfast somewhere else besides the hotel. So we searched for some food and we found this amazing outside shopping and breakfast place. There were a lot of cool glass designs and wood sculptures, which my mom was obsessing over. So we ate there and then later that afternoon we decided to go deep-sea fishing. We waited for our turn to go on the boat out in the ocean. As we waited, Isabella, our youngest sibling was standing in the open and all of a sudden we heard and saw a SPLAT right on her head. We tried not to say anything but we were all cracking up, and finally Bella knew what was up and we told her that bird poop had just landed on her head. Oh man, that’s when she just blew up and started crying, and so as we were laughing our heads off, my mom took her to the bathroom and washed her off. And so just about that time, the guide came and we all loaded on the boat, except for my mom and Bella, but they eventually came. And we headed off into the ocean.

The guide was telling us what all we were going to do and where we were going to fish. So once we stopped we got our fishing poles and started fishing. But to attract the fish the man threw out some chum which was super nasty and I’m pretty sure when he threw it, it got all over me(poor man couldn’t even throw chum right) and the fish came. We caught a couple barracuda and dolphin fish (no it was not an actual dolphin). So we moved on to a different spot and we launched our poles and waited for a while, but then all of a sudden, we had a huge bite on our line and it took us about twenty minutes to reel the pole in. But we thought our line just got snagged, but it actually was a 110-pound goliath grouper, it was absolutely humongous. But we eventually threw it back in after a lot of pictures with it. And we caught some more decent sized fish and then headed back.

When we got back, the guides took our fish and cut it up for us and we took it home with us. When we got home we started up a grill and cooked the fish that we caught that day. It was so good we ate almost all of it. We finished up eating and then got ready for bed. The next day we just hung out and went back to the cool breakfast place and ate there again. We just hung out that day and didn’t do much, but that was fine because we were all tired from the day before. The next day we went to a place where there are all sorts of cool things like dolphin shows and the cool exotic animals. We decided that we would swim with the dolphins, so we did and it was so much fun, but also interesting at the same time, because they would let you pull on their fin and swim right on them. We also went on a boat tour and they had dolphins doing tricks while the boat was going. That was really fun, and then it was time to go back to the hotel. We left and hung out on the beach one last time that night. The next morning we packed our bags to head home. We left that afternoon and got home later in the evening. We were all sad, but happy to be home. I would say this was an awesome experience and I would totally do this amazing, thrilling, totally eye catching trip again.

im from a family of 6 and i am in 9 grade and im 15 years old.