Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

Identity This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

Amelia S., Newton, MA By astern, Newton, MA

Most of our life flies right past us, collecting in a bottomless pool of forgotten ideas, aspiration and dreams. It was on this day that I felt for the first time a handprint imprint into my heart, twisting and turning until it merged with my soul. I will never forget those words in the Holocaust Museum.

On November 17, 2011 my eight grade class flew all the way across the country to Washington D.C. After a week full of history and sight seeing, we decided to visit the holocaust museum last. The bus gradually crept up to the museum as I stuck my nose against the crisp window allowing a blanket of fog to appear under my warm breath. With heavy feet, all 74 of us ascended onto the blanket of blood red leaves covering the cobblestone path leading up to the lifeless brick building. We passed through security with ease and a woman passed out identification booklets describing whom we would be as we traveled through the horrors of the Holocaust.

Continue Reading »

Join the discussion

2 comment(s)
IMSteel
Chilling, and beautifully descriptive.  I love the way in which you tell the story, giving the reader a vivid idea of what it felt like to be in that museum.  I don't have any suggestions as far as changing anything, it was perfect.  Keep writing! Could you please comment on my story, The Voyages of the Waved Albatross?  I'd really appreciate it, thanks!
Mar. 18, 2013 at 12:20 PM • Report
astern
thank you so much :)  i will definitely check it out 
Mar. 18, 2013 at 5:52 PM • Report
Close