Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

Happy Maggie This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

By Jennaavery1208, East Haven, CT

During my childhood I experienced greater hardships than most people go through in a lifetime. In my short 17 years of life, I have been through five divorces of my parents. Having a new stepmother or stepfather every few years was rough, but the constant moving was worse. My father's cancer diagnosis tore me apart, and his two heart attacks and battle with diabetes put a huge strain on the family. By age 13, I was depressed and emotionally scarred. I felt like I had no one to turn to and that nothing would ever get better. Then I met Maggie, and my perspective on life changed.

For many summers, I volunteered at a horseback riding camp for people with special needs. We taught children and adults specialized skills based on their disabilities. For example, we would teach a child with autism communication skills, or a child with cerebral palsy strength-building exercises.

Continue Reading »

Join the discussion

3 comment(s)
I feel  immense pleasure while reading it. I love the message behind it. I also would appeciate your story and your right thinking power that you were able to understand her pity over your pity. Keep it up, Go on. I wish god may fill your life with pleasure. 
Feb. 28, 2014 at 11:18 AM • Report
Its amazing how strong and invincible certain people could be...if this is a true story which I suspect it is, then I'm glad you shared Happy Maggie's story so that we can all learn to be as brave as she is.
Feb. 20, 2014 at 7:15 AM • Report
That's an amazing story. I think everyone should aspire to be as brave and happy as maggie is.
Feb. 02, 2014 at 10:46 PM • Report