Actor - Kristen Stewart | Teen Ink

Actor - Kristen Stewart MAG

At 16, Kristen Stewart is not afraid of intense roles, including Jodie Foster's daughter in “Panic Room,” the protagonist in “Speak,” and a troubled teen in “The Messengers.” This month, “In the Land of Women” opens with Kristen playing a teen dealing with high school, peer pressure, and a difficult relationship with her mother. The film also stars Meg Ryan and Adam Brody.

In “In the Land of Women,” you are a painter, but what are your real-life hobbies?

I read a lot of books, and I'm a writer. That's what I'm mainly into. I just love putting the words together. I'm really in love with words. I play guitar; I love going to shows. I'm kind of a homebody.

What is your favorite book?

I actually have two. I just finished Cannery Row by John Steinbeck, which was really intense. The other is The Stranger by Albert Camus, that was heavy.

You've worked with Jodie Foster and now Meg Ryan. How were those experiences?

So different. I was little when I worked with Jodie, so I wasn't taking notes. Just being around someone like that for months when you're so young and such a sponge ... she probably affected the way I work.

Jodie doesn't take things too seriously, she just acts. I mean, of course, she thinks about it, but Meg takes things very seriously - in the best way. You can tell she really cares about her work a lot, and that's really important.

In terms of acting styles, was it very different working with Meg, Adam and Makenzie Vega?

They were all so different. Working with Adam and Makenzie was a lot of fun, but my scenes with Meg were intense. There was a lot of tension between us, a lot of distance. I liked working with her; I felt we were both very satisfied with what came out. After a scene with Meg it was like, “Oh, we nailed it.”

What is your relationship with your mother like? Will your new movie help mothers and daughters better understand each other?

I'm really lucky, because I have a picture-perfect relationship with my parents. But I definitely see my friends in Lucy and her mom's relationship, I feel like that dynamic is very typical. This movie will open people's eyes.

How do you choose roles?

It's always different. The movies I've been interested in have been because of the prospect of working with the filmmaker and a certain director. Sometimes I'll do a movie because there are one or two scenes I really want to do, something that's different. I think it's important to do movies that are worth watching, something that makes you think.

If you weren't acting, what would you do?

I would want to write screenplays. But, if I had to have a practical job, if acting fell through, I couldn't imagine working anywhere but on a movie set. I would want to work in props or the art department.

What advice would you give others interested in acting?

If there is anything you really want to do, you have to give it a shot. Otherwise you're going to hold onto it forever and just regret it. You should have no regret.

People always ask actors for advice and it's like wow, you're asking us? I don't know how enlightening we can be. We're just people.

Robert214 GOLD said...
Robert214 GOLD, Guangzhou, Other

Make the best of what is within our power, and take the rest as it occurs. -Epictetus

Very insightful!

Sofia_Gonz07 GOLD, San Marcos, CA, California
Oh my god, THANK YOU KRISTEN! Finally someone realizes that everyone is just a person.

ClassyToe BRONZE, Sicklerville, New Jersey

The good thing about pain is the relief you feel when it's done.

I'm glad that she's getting another role. The thing about people who were in movie adaptions of books that were really popular is that they may not be taken seriously once they try to go for other role. I;m sure Kristen can do more that Bella Swan. 

WorldEvolver GOLD, Tenterden, Other

“Don't say what you don't want repeated.”

I love Kristen's acting. For me it never feels like she is acting she doesn't overact or take over completely she seems to let the character take completely over her instead so that every action she does just seems so natural!

on Nov. 8 2013 at 10:20 am
allhallowsevekatie PLATINUM, Hampden, Massachusetts

"Believe me nothing is trivial"(The Crow)

have you ever seen the runaways? think before you speak please

on Nov. 8 2013 at 10:19 am

have you ever seen the runnaways?!

on Nov. 8 2013 at 10:18 am

I absoulutly loved her in "the runnaways"! but her acting in breaking dawn part one and two was amazing!

candis flinn said...
on Mar. 27 2013 at 9:21 am
i have seen the whole saga of twilight and in think she a really great actress. i think she is the best actress in twilight breaking dawn 2!!!!!

FloridaGeorgiaDirectioner SILVER, Talking Rock, Georgia

May the odds be ever in your favor.

Yeah well not everyones perfect! Sorry to burst your bubble!

May the odds be ever in your favor.

I absolutely loved when Kristen Stewart played in Panic Room for all that are saying that shes a bad actress maybe you should thnk about all the facts and all the rumors yeah you have your own opinion and you need to express it but that doesn't mean you have to "Bully"!

DeleteMe said...
DeleteMe, Nampa, Idaho
To everyone calling Kristen Stewart a "bad actress" - I hate Bella Swan too. I read the books and enjoyed them, then watched the movies and began to despise Twilight in general, but have you seen Kristen Stewart in anything else other than Twilight? The Runaways, for example? The media's constructed a terrible image of her, not only as a person, but also as an actress, so it's not hard for people to just go along with that image, nod their heads, and say, "yeah, she sucks! I agree!" when she's actually done some really powerful roles, like Joan Jett in the Runaways and Melinda Sordino in Speak. But, if you've seen both of those movies and still think she's awful, then that's your opinion, but I thought I'd address the large percentage of people who hate Kristen because she's "Bella" or because it's the popular thing to do right now.

Layla said...
It's pretty hard to smile and wave like the typical Hollywood sweetheart you seem to expect her to be when there are shutterbugs around her 24/7.

Layla said...
Her job isn't to put her own personality into a character - that defeats the purpose of acting. Her job is to portray the character honestly to the best of her ability.

mathematicalelph, ST. PAUL, Minnesota
I don't really like her as an actress, and I was fully prepared to dislike her as a person, but then she read Cannery Row. :) Good job, author, for giving another dimension to the pariah of the Twi-haters.

on Jun. 10 2012 at 8:14 am
I-Love-EDM SILVER, Hamilton, New Jersey

Pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding. It is the bitter potion by which the physician within you heals your sick self. Therefore, trust the physician. Drink from its cup of remedy in silence and tranquility.

lovez the interveiw. luvz it :)

on May. 10 2012 at 8:31 am
StephanieMorrissa SILVER, Anderson, South Carolina

"It's not what people call you, it's what you answer to."
-Tyler Perry(Madea)

I've never really liked her either.. She plays all her roles the exact same way and I just don't really like that.. Plus, like everyone else has mentioned, she shows no emotion or connection to the character.

KristinHopkins8 SILVER, Aspen, Colorado

"If a writer falls in love with you, you can never die"

You like making movies worth watching that make us think? You were in Twilight! That totally contradicts what you just said!

Evfreak13 BRONZE, Davie, Florida

Any writer, I suppose, feels that the world into which he was born is nothing less than a conspiracy against the cultivation of his talent.
James A. Baldwin

I hate doing this, but I really don't like Kristen Stewart's acting at ALL. She can't for her life, she expresses next to no emotion, I mean...?? And In The Land Of Women was one of her WORST movies!

Rachel said...
on Apr. 10 2012 at 6:54 am
Yes. If she had put something extra into the character then she wouldn't have to worry about people thinking she was a terrible actress. No, then she would have to worry about all the haters who would bash her for deviating from the book. So in reality, you're putting her in a lose-lose situation. Nice.