Meeting the Galways | Teen Ink

Meeting the Galways MAG

By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York

I must admit that I would not classify myself as a writer but rather a flutist. It is my love of music and the flute that brought me the incredible opportunity of interviewing Sir James Galway and his wife Lady Jeanne, an incredible flutist in her own right.

Eager as I was to meet and interview these celebrities, I doubted my qualifications, being neither a writer nor a musical prodigy. In fact, I was still having doubts as to my legitimacy on the subway heading into Boston the morning of the interview after my flute lesson.

I had only known for a short time that I would be interviewing them and I was feeling somewhat unprepared. I was petrified that Sir James or Lady Jeanne would ask me some technical question about flute playing that I wouldn't be able to answer. Looking back, my fears were incredibly silly. I had heard nothing but wonderful things about the Galways and how much they love working with students of all levels. And indeed, after observing them play and joke together during the radio broadcast, I became sincerely excited to interact with this fascinating couple and find out the answers to some of my questions.

Any lingering nervousness was assuaged when, at the beginning of our interview, Sir James found out I was a senior and asked about the college application process, and, seeing my eyes grow large, laughed and warned me not to get overwhelmed. This familiar advice put me right back in my comfort zone and made Sir James and his wife seem a lot less like unreachable superstars and a lot more like everyday people.

The interview went smoothly and afterwards, when we were taking pictures with my flute, Sir James played it a little and really liked it, inspiring me to go home and try my hardest to produce equally beautiful music.