Me, myself & I | Teen Ink

Me, myself & I

By Yelly SILVER, Abuja, Other
Yelly SILVER, Abuja, Other

The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain neutrality in times of moral crisis.

Just to be clear I'm not opposed to learning. I love to learn. Just sometimes I don't feel I truly am when I'm confined in the vicinities of my curriculum...and some subjects bore me.

OK, I am never going to spend hours reading Moby Dick just out of mere desire. I do not have an uncontrollable desire that coerces me to plummet into a physics textbook and read myriad pages on the forces of motion and I do not have a verbal vocabulary that connotes like I spend all my free time reading Webster's New Explorer Vocabulary Skill Builder.

I am the girl whose behavior perplexes others. I act like a complete buffoon in class and come out with a 5 on my AP Biology exam and a 4.0 GPA. In fact, many attribute my academic excellence to black magic. Those people I would say have a wild imagination.

I am a girl whose attitude towards learning varies. I would readily dive into a unit on Evolution but I would not touch a Physics textbook for any reason other than obligation. I read as many articles as I can from the YAHOO! Homepage but can't get through the 2nd chapter of Great Expectations.

I am the girl who loves to sleep. I don't sleep a lot because I find it to be an auspicious life boat in a sea full of debacles nor am I a casual drug user. I love to sleep because I love to dream. It's the only way I can abscond to my future. When I lay my head on the pillow and close my eyes, my business grows and the orphaned children, abused women and destitute souls take center stage as I play a supporting role. When I sleep, my dreams come to life.

I am the girl who dabbles with the verb, express. My mind is inundated with ideas that I put down in many forms -Poems, screenplays, novels, adverts, songs, designs. My wardrobe is volatile and my hair has gone through the extremities of the metric ruler and colors of the (visible light) electromagnetic spectrum.

I am the girl who's captivated with criminology, psychology and human cognizance. I spend my free time watching The Mentalist, Lie to me, CSI and Sherlock Holmes and reading archaic cases of criminals on Wikipedia and Detective Conan manga.

I am a strong advocate for women's rights and I cringe whenever some ignorant person informs me of my "place."

I am all these things but I have no idea what I want to be. What I do know is that I want to be successful. I have ambition. I guess that's the answer. Not black magic unfortunately, just ambition. My ambition has had the greatest influence on me. It makes me do things I don't like to. Because I'll be honest, writing a 20 page essay on the God particle doesn't catch my fancy.